FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where to host Flash w/menus

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Sassi
Where to host Flash w/menus
on Oct 11, 2007 at 12:44:17 pm

I have produced a fairly complex training DVD for a client (8 buttons) and they want it to appear on the web as the same as the DVD. I am thinking Flash is the only to have "clickable" buttons.

Any thoughts on how to do this (hire a flash guy to design) but where and how to host it. My server for my company website is not equipped for flash.

TIA,

Peter Sassi

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Where to host Flash w/menus
on Oct 11, 2007 at 1:59:52 pm

[Peter Sassi] "My server for my company website is not equipped for flash.
"

Please explain this. You create and embed SWF and FLV linked to SWF. Why is someone telling you your server can't handle SWF?

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Oct 16, 2007 at 2:39:21 pm

It may not be equipped for Flash Streaming, but that's not the same thing as being equipped for Flash. If that was the case, it couldn't hold any other files either. A file is a file.

If you use progressive Download (which is what most people do, and how all of my tutorials are set up here) then your SWF will progressively load the FLV. That means, that when someone comes to the page, and the SWF player file is loaded, it then starts loading up the FLV, and after a few seconds will start playing it.

You don't need to do anything special, other than to embed the SWF player file (the file that loads your SWF) into your web page. The SWF file already knows how to send the FLV data to you.

Hope this helps.

----------------------------------------
Aharon Rabinowitz
arabinowitz(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
http://www.allbetsareoff.com

----------------------------------------
Click the link below to subscribe to the Creative Cow After Effects Podcast, and get free AE video tutorials:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=111087911

Return to posts index

Greg Mulvey
on Oct 26, 2007 at 4:20:22 am

Hey Peter,

The best way to do this would be to use Adobe Encore CS3 to author your DVD project. It has an option that will export your DVD to flash, menus and all. You don't have to do any programing, you just hit a button and it does it!

Greg

Return to posts index

Alan Worthington
on Dec 10, 2014 at 3:21:53 am

I have built an online webDVD using premier elements and cannot get it hosted anywhere. I have even tried Adobes own hosting site Revel. The problem is; the video uploads and plays, but the whole point is to be able to use a virtual menu from which to navigate. I have tried upload the entire folder to my own flash based website and it won't play as a menu function there either? Members in Adobe group forums such as Revel and Premier have all failed to come up with a solution. Research has shown that a web DVD was hosted complete with functioning menu on Adobes old hosting site photoshop.com, but sinced it ceased to exist and was replaced by Revel, the new host no longer supports web DVD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]