FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing Sony XDCAM to SD problems

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Gonzales
Compressing Sony XDCAM to SD problems
on Oct 9, 2007 at 9:26:49 pm

Hello:

I've got Final Cut studio 2 and am trying to compress about 5 timelines, all footage shot in Sony XDCAM, to DVD SD fomat straight from the timeline. Everything worked great except for ONE TIMELINE. Every time I compress it, it pixalates horribly in two areas. Why would it do that? Here is what I've tried to do to resolve the problem:

1. I've rendered out the timeline as a XDCAM movie and then put that movie into compressor. Same problem happened.

2. I've rendered it out to an HDV movie and then put it into compressor. Same problem, pixelation in two areas.

3. And of course, I rendered it straight to compressor from timeline as well.

Does anyone know why this would happen?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressing Sony XDCAM to SD problems
on Oct 11, 2007 at 1:57:49 pm

You're not given enough info for people to help.

You're going to DVD SD?
What are your encode settings?

Why would you even consider going from XDCAM (35mbps VBR) to HDV (25mbps CBR)?

Return to posts index

Kevin Gonzales
on Oct 11, 2007 at 3:37:18 pm

The compression bit rate is 3.0 to 6.5 VBR in SD and in my posting I state that I am compressing to SD format for a SD DVD.

The whole reason I am compressing down to SD is becasue that is what my client wants. I have done this before with XDCAM footage (compressing straight from timeline to SD DVD format) and it's been fine. Now I am running across this problem where it pixelates in one area after compression.

I compressed to HDV formate in VBR and not CBR to see if it would take care of the problem. You've got to try the straingest options sometimes. you never know.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 11, 2007 at 4:16:07 pm

Try using compression markers in front of the tough areas. Just encode a couple of minutes around the tough area as a test. You may decide you need to space a couple of compression markers.

Return to posts index

Kevin Gonzales
on Oct 11, 2007 at 4:43:40 pm

BINGO!!! It worked great. Thanks a ton. Just out of curiosity would you know why it wold pixelate in the first place? The clips really don't have much movement in them.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 11, 2007 at 6:41:31 pm

GOP issues can be a strange thing. Predictive and BiDirectional frames looking for things and making determinations about what's happening in a given frame.

Personally I'm always a bit uneasy about going from a GOP based source to and encode with a new GOP structure. Of course that's why features like compression markers are there.

It would be an interesting test with this given sequence to render to a non GOP (all I frame) codec and then render that to the appropriate MPEG2 file for the DVD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]