FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing Video files so the can be transferred via an FPT Site

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kielyliam
Compressing Video files so the can be transferred via an FPT Site
on Oct 5, 2007 at 9:37:54 pm

Hi,

I got a question of video compression. Over the last few months my friends and I have been transferring video recording over the net via an FPT site. The total size of the footage we are transferring is usually 1 or 2 GB

This is what we do at them moment:

My Friends making a recording in

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
Re: Compressing Video files so the can be transferred via an FPT Site
on Oct 6, 2007 at 2:36:49 pm

You don't say how long the videos are, what the original file size or format is, what the final use is, all kinds of other unknowns.
If you want to compress a video file that people can watch on their computers, compressing to H.264 will give a high quality image at a relatively small file size. Viewers need QuickTime 7 to watch it, but that's a free download for PCs and Macs. You can scale it to a smaller frame size too. If they need to view it on TVs, then MPEG-2 is the way to go.
Ed

Return to posts index

kielyliam
on Oct 6, 2007 at 6:50:45 pm

Thanks, the end use is to watch the recording on a TV. The recording are usually about 2hrs long. Can you tell me where I would get more information on MPEG-2 as I never heard of it.
Just about to search the web for it.

Thanks

Liam

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Oct 7, 2007 at 12:59:17 pm

MPEG-2, as I hope you found out about by now, is the video format used for DVDs. The .vob files you described in your post are what MPEG-2s turn into after authoring an MPEG-2 video in DVD StudioPro or Adobe Encore, etc. Getting a 2 hour long program into a 1-2gig file size is already compressing the video a lot. At a typical compression setting for MPEG-2 files, a 2 hour video might wind up at 4 gigs, so you're compressing it a lot more than typical. Sorry, I don't have a solution for you.
Ed

Return to posts index

kielyliam
on Oct 8, 2007 at 6:58:54 am

Yes I did and as you suggest I don't think I'm going to able to compress the files any further.

In your first response you suggested compressing to H.264, would this reduce the size of the file by much ?

If it did,I would connect I projecter to my laptop and project the file on a white screen we can all watch it.

Do you think this would work ?

Return to posts index

Peterd
on Oct 8, 2007 at 3:37:59 pm

H264 tends to be a little more economcal sizewise than MPEG2 in my experience. It can take a little longer to compress though.

A small side note: You should zip all your video files before uploading them. It will reduce the size making your upload go faster and also it help prevent the files from getting corrupted.

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Oct 8, 2007 at 4:00:57 pm

The H.264 standard was developed to have 50-60% less data-rate than MPEG-2, that's a whole lot more econmical "sizewise" than MPEG-2. And it takes forever to compress, it could take 2-3 times longer to compress the same file as MPEG-2.
As mentioned in the first post, he's already zipping his files.
You should be able to get the 1-2GB files you now create down to 500MB-1GB with the same quality. H.264 is one of the mandatory formats supported by HD-DVD and BlueRay for HD DVDs.
Ed

[Peterd] "H264 tends to be a little more economcal sizewise than MPEG2 in my experience. It can take a little longer to compress though.

A small side note: You should zip all your video files before uploading them. It will reduce the size making your upload go faster and also it help prevent the files from getting corrupted. "

Return to posts index

kielyliam
on Oct 8, 2007 at 9:51:45 pm

Ed thanks for the Advice, I going to give Apple Quicktime 7 Pro a go and see how I get on. This has got some good and bad review but it seem easy to download and use and thats what I need as I'm no IT expert.(unless you can recommend some other software)

With a bit of luck this will solve my problem of sending recording of local hurling and Gaelic Football from Ireland to New Zealand.

Will let you know how I get on

Thanks again for your help

Liam

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Oct 8, 2007 at 11:31:48 pm

Glad to help a fellow Irishman. :-)

QT Pro works fine. There are programs (like Episode, Squeeze, and Compressor for Macs, and Procoder for PCs) that give you much more control, but for simple exporting out as H.264 (and other formats) QT Pro is fine (and cheap!).

I live in Vermont in the U.S., but I have dual Irish and U.S. citizenship (my family's from County Longford). Where are you?
Ed

[kielyliam] "Ed thanks for the Advice, I going to give Apple Quicktime 7 Pro a go and see how I get on. This has got some good and bad review but it seem easy to download and use and thats what I need as I'm no IT expert.(unless you can recommend some other software)

With a bit of luck this will solve my problem of sending recording of local hurling and Gaelic Football from"

Return to posts index

Allen Zagel
on Oct 10, 2007 at 11:11:01 pm

Hi
I'm new at this forum. Usually I live at the Vegas or Pro Audio forum but couldn't help noticing this post.

Why don't you take a look at...
http://www.yousendit.com

I use it all the time to send large video files and you could send the entire 2gb file in 1 piece. Although it may take all day to download, I've never had any problems with that service.

It's free for smaller files but joining or paying a 1 time fee for a large files may be worth it.

I send short clips to a friend in China all the time.
Allen

ASX Media Productions
http://www.asxvideo.com

Return to posts index

kielyliam
on Oct 12, 2007 at 6:33:43 pm

Ed,

I'm stuck again, I purchased and set up Quicktime pro with any problems.

Then I decided to try and play one the games I have using quicktime, it didn't work as it was the wrong format.

The file format is .vob

So then I tried to export it and convert it to a quicktime movie using the export fuction in quicktime pro.
It seemed to work but when I went to play the file it didn't and the new file created was only 68MB.

How to go from the .vob format to a format that plays in quicktime.

The .vob file I was trying to convert is 1GB I expected to be around half the size after I converted it, is this correct.

My email address is kielyliam@eircom.net if you want to repsond directly.

I'm oringally from Limerick but have friends in Strokestown in Longford, not a bad place for a good night out.
I'm now living in Auckland, moved here 18 months ago and I'm deperate for some Irish Sports.

Liam

PS: I did download the quicktime manual but no having much luck in finding a solution

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Oct 12, 2007 at 6:42:35 pm

To play .vob files you need to purchase the MPEG-2 plug-in from Apple ($20 USD).
Here's the U.S. store link for it, but you probably have a different site
in Oz. You need QT or QT Pro to use the plug-in (just to read files), but you need QT Pro to
export to other formats.
Ed

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mc...

Return to posts index

kielyliam
on Oct 12, 2007 at 8:03:31 pm

Thanks Ed, bought the plug and installed it without any problems.
The the file seems to be playing now (the counter is moving along the bottom of the screen) but all I get is a white screen. any idea what I doing wrong ?

When I play the file us VLC media player it works fine

Regards

Liam

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Oct 12, 2007 at 9:00:22 pm

Are there a number of vob files, or just one. A typical DVD for example, will have a few vobs, not all of them contain the film/video. Other than the possibility that you're not playing the right vob (if you even have more than one), I don't know.
There are other programs for extracting vobs (MPEG Streamclip, FFMpeg-not 100% sure about FFMpeg's abilities).
Ed

Return to posts index

kielyliam
on Oct 15, 2007 at 5:28:50 am

Thanks Ed & Allen,

Your suggestions have helped a lot.

Ed, MPEG Streamclip along with Apple realtime has allowed me to reduce the file by a 34%.

Allen, your suggestion re http://www.yousendit.com will remove the need for to split the file before its sent.

Regards

Liam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]