FORUMS: list search recent posts

conversion / compression question

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mattheeley
conversion / compression question
on Oct 2, 2007 at 8:18:49 am

hello!

i have a very urgent question that im sure someone will be able to helpme answer!

I work for a company producing educational films. We have a large number of .MOV files of our movies that we need to convert to MPEGII format and then into ISO files in order to create standard PAL DVDs from them.

Could someone please recommend me the best way to go about and which software would be best to use?

Any help with this ASAP would be very very very much appreciated!

thanks...

Matt

Return to posts index

JackHammer
Re: conversion / compression question
on Oct 2, 2007 at 9:46:33 am

Are you guys working on Macs or PCs?

What format are the MOVs in? (CODEC, frame size, frame rate etc)

Return to posts index

mattheeley
on Oct 2, 2007 at 10:09:41 am

Okay,

im using Sorenson Squeeze to convert the .MOV files to MPEG2 format.

the outputted files are the following spec:

MPEG2 frame size - 720 x 576
audio codec - mpeg layer 2 audio
video codec - mpeg-2 video
frame rate 25fps

what i need to know is how to get these MPEG2 files into a suitable format for burning onto a DVD to play on standard PAL DVD players in the UK.. or whether the specs above are suitable.. can i burn MPEG2 straight onto a DVD ?

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Oct 2, 2007 at 1:40:00 pm

You need a DVD authoring program.

A home theater DVD player (as opposed to a computer DVD player) can't just look at MPEG2 files and play them. There has to be code on the DVD that tell the player how to access the data and how to play it.

So if you want to make this a playable DVD, look into any of the following programs - iDVD, Sony DVD Architect, Adobe Encore (Comes with Premiere Pro), even something as simple as Adaptech Easy DVD creator.

If you only have uncompressed video, most of these programs will convert your video to MPEG2 (which as you know can take some time) but if you feed it already-converted MPEG2 video many of them will skip that part, saving a lot of time.

But get one of those programs, or see if your computer came with a DVD authoring program.

----------------------------------------
Aharon Rabinowitz
arabinowitz(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
http://www.allbetsareoff.com

----------------------------------------
Click the link below to subscribe to the Creative Cow After Effects Podcast, and get free AE video tutorials:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=111087911

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Craig Seeman
on Oct 3, 2007 at 11:06:47 pm

You didn't mention whether it's PC or Mac.
If it's Mac I'd add DVD Studio Pro as a program to author DVDs.

You can create an "autoplay" DVD if that's your intent.

You'd need to know how much info you're putting on the disc to figure out the average data rate you'd need too. The range might be anywhere from 3.5Mbps to 6.5Mbps give or take but no one can give you that number without knowing duration and content per disc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]