FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Age Old Question- Episode, Sorensen, or Cleaner?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Griffith
The Age Old Question- Episode, Sorensen, or Cleaner?
on Oct 1, 2007 at 7:27:37 pm

Ok guys,
I'm venturing into the online video world. And on my quest, I have come to the decision crossroad of which compression software to purchase. I have done some research on H264 and the On2 VP6 codec. I'm going to be uploading Documentary clips that could push the 20 minute mark with some fast moving scenes. I haven't decided on the codec yet and more importantly, the software package to compress it with. So her I am to consult with those in the know. Which road should I be traveling down? I'm running on a Mac with OSX

Thanks for any help in advance,

Jason Griffith
organicpixels.net

"An Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living" - Socrates

Return to posts index

JackHammer
Re: The Age Old Question- Episode, Sorensen, or Cleaner?
on Oct 2, 2007 at 9:43:53 am

My vote goes to Episode, I love cleaner but it's so unloved by Autodesk and as such has been left behind in the performance stakes.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 3, 2007 at 1:36:24 am

I think the answer really depends on the format you choose for delivery. If you choose Flash for example, there's no reason to buy a $600 Swiss Army Knife to encode it, when Flix Pro will do the job as well or better for $249. If you choose to go with h.264 you might be able to "Squeeze" a better file out (pun intended) using Sorenson or Episode, but compressor and QT Pro do a pretty decent job. So again, why buy the expensive Swiss Army Knife unless you really need it?

I also say forget Cleaner... Discreet and now AutoDesk have never kept that product up to date.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Victoria Hansen
Sorensen advice
on Dec 10, 2008 at 3:20:06 am

Hi David,

I came upon your reply while searching for compression software. I have Sorensen Squeeze, but regrettably know little about it. I have successfully compressed audio and video files, but have some TV segments I did on a regional network here in Australia that I want to upload as flash on my website http://www.bitesizecooking.com Problem is, using 'sml prog' swf, I still can't get these small enough for the site. My programmers have told me to try to get them around 5mg if possible. A friend who is an editor mentioned one might be able to set a compression limit for the file, but I don't know enough about the software to do that. Can this be done with Sorensen and if so, how, and if not, can you recommend another easy to use compression software I can use. I'm relatively web and computer savvy but not editing savvy.

regards
Victoria
victoria@victoriahansen.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 3, 2007 at 11:17:27 pm

I think Swiss Army knives give maximum flexibility.

Episode is fastest for everything at the moment. It's great for VP6.

Compressor is great for H.264 but multipass encodes will take a long time. ON2/Flix may well have a VP6 plugin that will work in Compressor but haven't looked at that option. BTW Episode comes with a plugin for Compressor 3 now! Best of both worlds with that.

Squeeze is very easy to use but doesn't have the processing filter control that Episode has. It's a nice programe though.

Cleaner is SLOOW and Autdesk provides very little support. If you run into a bug with Cleaner don't expect a bug fix for a long time if ever. It's the only one I'd list as a must to avoid.

BTW, I have and use ALL of the above (except Flix).

Return to posts index

Jim_Gunn
on Oct 8, 2007 at 3:32:03 am

I do a LOT of video encoding from Dv and hdv sources and I have been using Cleaner XL (now ver 1.5) for pc for years. It does a great job with batch video encoding to multile formats and has sophisticated controls including color correction and audio filters and many other things.

I have also used the latest version of Sorenson Squeeze (4.5) and it has a somewhat friendlier interface than Cleaner XL and encodes much faster, especially for Flash video which it handles beautifully. However one major thing Squeeze lacks is the ability to add a watermark to the finished videos during the encoding process like Cleaber XL can. That is a major flaw and that is the main reason that I still use Cleaner XL 1.5 to encode to WMV, Quicktime, Real and other formats for my clients.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 8, 2007 at 3:39:50 am

Episode also does watermarks and even burn in time code.

Return to posts index

Jason Griffith
on Oct 12, 2007 at 9:18:04 pm

Ok guys,

I think I'm going to go with Episode. It's more expensive than the other options, but then again, this is my product and it needs to look great. Not to mention I will be compressing hundreds of 10-15 minute clips. I need the speed.

Jason

"An Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living" - Socrates

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]