Autodesk/Discreet Cleaner

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc
Autodesk/Discreet Cleaner
by
on Sep 27, 2007 at 4:37:43 pm

Hello All,

I've been happily using Cleaner on a Mac for years now to go from SD video to 320X240 web videos without any major problems. I'm presently running v. 6.0.2 and I see that v. 6.5 is available on Autodesk's web site. I have no immediate need for the added features (DivX and Flash) although these may futureproof the $120 expense to a certain extent so I'm wondering if the update is worth the money or has something "new and exciting" come into the compression picture and I should be putting my money towards the purchase of a new application ?

Any thoughts or insights on Episode, others ?

Thanks,

Marc

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Autodesk/Discreet Cleaner
on Sep 27, 2007 at 6:39:04 pm

Episode is the best all around Mac compression package out there. But you will find that each has its own strengths. We did the Cleaner upgrade and it has been worth it. I think performance is better too. Be sure to get the 6.5.1 update after you upgrade.

Cleaner just has an interface I am familiar with, but I use others too. I have MPEG-Streamclip and compressor, as well as a couple others like VisualHub...

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Marc
by
on Sep 28, 2007 at 11:43:09 am

Thanks for the insights Rich, just confirms that even though they don't update every 3 months Cleaner is still a viable option. I too like the interface and have always gotten good and predictable results. Just wanted to make sure no one app was head and shoulders above the crowd.

Marc

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 3, 2007 at 11:31:25 pm

The problem with Cleaner is that if there's a serious bug it may be eons before they fix it.
Cleaner 6.5 had serious compatibility issues after a Quicktime update and it was a VERY LOOOONG time before 6.5.1 came out. Cleaner is also dog slow compared to Episode (or even Squeeze).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]