FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG2 - further compression help

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
o0matt0o
MPEG2 - further compression help
on Sep 21, 2007 at 10:38:17 am

Hi,

I have a 35 min doc in MPEG2 which (mainly due to my crappy computer) took 3 hours to render in PP2. The final file size is 1.7GB. Im pretty new to compression, so i'm not sure how but what is the best/ easiest way to make this smaller but retain quality?

Hope this isn't too much of a stupid question, but i could do with some help...

Thanks,

Matt

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: MPEG2 - further compression help
on Sep 23, 2007 at 4:20:44 pm

Matt,

What are trying to do with your MPEG-2 file? Its clearly small enough for a DVD, which is the number one use for MPEG-2. There are many other codecs to use that generate even better quality at much smaller file sizes than MPEG-2, but without stating your objective its hard to help direct you toward a good solution.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY

Return to posts index

o0matt0o
on Sep 24, 2007 at 9:21:45 am

Thanks for your reply,

The file is for computer use only, I don't know alot about codecs/ compression so it would be useful to know what other codecs you would recommend. I was using MPEG2 because the onscreen subtitles looked best in this format.

Any advice would be really helpful, I am currently using a basic Premier Pro 2.0 setup.

Thanks again,

Matt

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 24, 2007 at 2:39:11 pm

[o0matt0o] "The file is for computer use only"

Matt,

MPEG-2 is pretty much only used for DVDs.

If by "computer use" you mean sending and/or showing to others on a computer, without additional editing, then, for the most part WMV is pretty much your best bet for high quality and small file size for use on a PC, and Quicktime h.264 on a MAC.

If you subtitles and titles don't look good its because they are being compressed using the DV codec before being again compressed to the distribution codec you're using. That can be avoided, but you'll have to ask that question on the Premiere Forum.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]