FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Fechtmeister
Apple Compressor
on Sep 20, 2007 at 12:55:41 am

Ok...I know I shouldn't probably post this here but maybe I should.

I'm trying to use compressor on the Mac side to get the highest resolution output for my movie ( 3 min) long that I exported from AE using the Animation codec.

Every time I use compressor and try and get it to export I get some .mts file extension and then when I try and turn it into a .mpg neither one will play in quicktime. Arrgh.

Any tuts or other out there. I just want the highest data rate/bit rate and best quality... with sound.

Any ideas? I know Mac apps are supposed to be friendlier but ...I must be a dork.

Thanks in advance for the good cows of the pasture.

Return to posts index

beenyweenies
Re: Apple Compressor
on Sep 20, 2007 at 1:20:28 am

Are you using a Compressor preset? There are tons of them available for any need, and serve as a good starting point.

The .mts file you are getting is, I believe, an MPEG2 type and that is NOT what you should use if you want high quality. For quality, use an h.264 preset.

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Sep 20, 2007 at 2:10:20 am

I'm using a CF video player that only uses mpeg 2 or divx mpg4 so I'm going with mpeg2.

It sucks and can't get audio with it.

help... pleeze...

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Sep 20, 2007 at 5:15:40 pm

Go to a preset, such as a Custom MPEG-2, duplicate the MPEG-2 setting ans open that. Go to the Extras Tab and select Multiplexed MPEG-1/Layer2 Audio.
Ed

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Sep 22, 2007 at 1:24:23 pm

Ed thanks for your response. I was just trying to get the best quality MPEG2.

I will try what you said... for some reason I wasn't getting audio and then my output files were saying " This is not a movie file" when I would try and open them.

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Sep 22, 2007 at 1:57:35 pm

When I render it out, it is 3 files... an audio .ac3 a .m2v file and some mts.

Pretty confusing... but basically no audio on my video.

I'm hoping for a .mpg file of the highest quality I can get with audio.

I'll keep trying. Thanks again for any help.

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Sep 22, 2007 at 7:38:19 pm

Hmmm, Compressor creates an MPEG-2 Program, or Transport, Stream by following the advice I gave. It should mux the audio into the video and create a .mt2 file, which should be video and audio together. If you're getting a playable MPEG-2 video file and a separate audio file, there are freeware muxers available to create a Program stream. MPEG Streamclip is good:

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

Ed

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Sep 22, 2007 at 9:15:06 pm

It might be creating a .mt2 file but to tell the truth all I want is a .mpg file.

Can you elaborate on the workflow on the mac side for making a .mpg file.

Here's what I was doing I was exporting the .mov file from After Effects using the Animation codec and then I just open compressor (2.01) and drag and drop it onto the batch window.

Then from the "Setting" column I click on the drop down and select the " Work Dammit MPEG2 " setting that I created using the Inspector. I select the file format as MPEG-2 and it gives the extension as mts. What in the? So I try and change it to mpg but it won't.

It processes it and lays a big useless file turd on me. Everyone says use compressor for good results. Is this a joke. I have the whole final cut studio and I don't use it very often, so hence my problems.. but I've heard people rave about and recommend it.

Help.

It gives me a mts file that when I double click on it Quicktime says, "this is not a movie file". Not a movie file. I setup all the settings and you don't give me a movie file.

It doesn't make any sense. Any, super straighforward tutorials on mac software out there.

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Sep 23, 2007 at 1:05:59 pm

I've read of problems with earlier versions of Compressor creating Program streams, but I thought it was fixed by v2. A Transport Stream, the M2T for example, won't play (as you've found). I'm not at my Mac so I can't walk through the menus, but from memory you should be able to simply create a Program stream by selecting the Mux option in the Extras tab.
If you need this right away and you can't get Compressor to do it right you can easily create a regular MPEG-2 in Compressor, take the separate video and audio files into MPEG Streamclip http://www.squared5.com/
and mux them together into an MPEG-2 Program stream, easy, and it's free.
Ed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]