FORUMS: list search recent posts

On2 VP6 inside sorenson

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mYthprod
On2 VP6 inside sorenson
on Sep 13, 2007 at 8:08:05 pm

Greetings! I have a file I'm trying to get to open quicker. I'm using the on2 vp6 codec within sorenson. I have another file I'm comparing it to that's opening much quicker and I'm guessing it has something to do with the way I'm encoding my flv file. Is there a way to open that file that loads quickly and check out the compression settings? Specifically the load and buffer settings?

Thanks!

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: On2 VP6 inside sorenson
on Sep 14, 2007 at 1:57:51 am

The most important factors in load time are bitrate, framerate and frame size. We scale down the frame size a bit so the encode will look better at lower bitrates. We only use 15 fps. We use mono audio instead of stereo. Have a look on our site in the portfolio section and see how you think the clips look!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Sep 14, 2007 at 5:29:45 am

They look great, Rich! I can't get mine to load nearly that fast and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I think I am encoding them at 30 fps, maybe that's the issue. My 45 second file is 3.5 MB but somebody else made a 5 MB file and it's loading way faster than mine is, in 1-2 seconds like yours as opposed to 9-11 seconds with mine. After the 9 to 11 seconds of load the file plays fine with no glitches - it's like there's some sort of load variable that's not being set but I've turned everything to 0 and 1 second in my settings and it seems to make no difference. The resolution is the same and the bit rate is real close if not the same. The fps is the only thing that may be different.

Are you running any sort of true cast or media cast on your server to make your flv files load faster?

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Sep 14, 2007 at 7:33:01 am

The fps is not the issue. My bitrate, file size is good. Is there anything in the swf or on the server that would make it load slow regardless of how the flv was made?

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Sep 14, 2007 at 4:00:12 pm

Found out the issue. My flv file was fine, the swf being authored (made by someone else) was being given too much buffer time. I figured it was a pre-load issue within the swf file, they probably had the swf file on a fixed percentage instead of an adaptive setting.

Just in case this helps someone else. :-P

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Sep 14, 2007 at 5:30:44 am

They look great, Rich! I can't get mine to load nearly that fast and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I think I am encoding them at 30 fps, maybe that's the issue. My 45 second file is 3.5 MB but somebody else made a 5 MB file and it's loading way faster than mine is, in 1-2 seconds like yours as opposed to 9-11 seconds with mine. After the 9 to 11 seconds of load the file plays fine with no glitches - it's like there's some sort of load variable that's not being set but I've turned everything to 0 and 1 second in my settings and it seems to make no difference. The resolution is the same and the bit rate is real close if not the same. The fps is the only thing that may be different.

Are you running any sort of true cast or media cast on your server to make your flv files load faster?

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Sep 14, 2007 at 2:28:39 pm

Isn't it the swf file and the server that governs how quickly the file starts playing? How well it streams is up to the flv file of course but as to how it's initially loaded, isn't that up to the server and swf file and their settings and capabilities?

The only streaming options I can find in the flv options in my sorenson are those related to the "truecast" products, which to my understanding is an on2 product (I'm using the on2's vp6 codec within the flv file).

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]