FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG-2: Episode or Compressor 3

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Multiple Words
MPEG-2: Episode or Compressor 3
on Sep 7, 2007 at 12:09:09 am

I've seen this topic come around often, but I need some specific clarification.

Basically, does Episode or Compressor 3 produce a higher quality MPEG-2 for standard def DVD?

I'm creating a DVD box-set (SD) for a PBS series and would like to produce the best compressions possible. (The source is DVCproHD) I will soon have Comp 3, but I'm willing to also purchase Episode for better results. I've seen several positive remarks about ProCoder, but being PC/Intel only, it is out of the running for the moment.

Thanks for your feedback and I hope this isn't rehashing a previous topic too much.

Thanks,
Parke

http://www.StuckOnOn.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: MPEG-2: Episode or Compressor 3
on Sep 7, 2007 at 5:35:16 am

Parke,

Compressor does a very decent job, however compression apps like Episode and Sorenson Squeeze give much more control of the encoding process, but only if you know how to make use of that control.

For example, Compressor has no control of keyframes. Keyframes can be very helpful in creating consistent VBR encoding, especially if the material has a combination of action scenes with lots of fast movement and slower scenes without much movement. However, if you don't know how to optimize your encode properly with keyframes you can really mess things up.

So, making the choice is a bit of a tough call that only you can answer, because its really a decision that is based on your understanding of the software rather than just the software itself.

If I were doing a series I'd consider a hardware encoder. It'll go much faster (realtime) and so you'll be able to tinker more to get that encode just right.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY

Return to posts index

Multiple Words
on Sep 7, 2007 at 5:03:45 pm

Thanks David for the reply. What hardware encoding options are available? (other than something like a dedicated Scenarist workstation)

I would be very interested in an (affordable) hardware solution.

Thanks,
Parke

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 7, 2007 at 6:02:00 pm

You know, it seems that there may no longer be a hardware solution for the Mac platform... There was one a few years ago, but I guess since software encoders have become so good and hardware so much faster there's just not much demand for dedicated hardware encoders anymore. At lkeast on the MAC side. If you want to go to the PC side, Digital Rapids make a very affordable encoder that does just about every format you can think of.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY

Return to posts index

Andrei Bocharnikov
on Oct 14, 2008 at 10:25:44 am

[David Roth Weiss] "If you want to go to the PC side, Digital Rapids make a very affordable encoder that does just about every format you can think of. "

David, which one device from Digital Rapids you would recommend to encode fast from DVCPROHD to any QT format with half size of frame (640x360 or similar)?

thank you in advance,

G5 Dual 2.7 Ghz, 4.5 Gb RAM, Leopard 10.5.3, QT 7.5
DVD Studio Pro 4, Final Cut Pro 6.0.3, Compressor 3

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 14, 2008 at 3:31:54 pm

Andrei,

You should email Lyn Norstad at Lyn@LNAINC.com . He's a VAR who will be happy to tell you all about the Digital Rapids cards and help you to match the right one to your needs.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Sep 8, 2007 at 12:54:31 pm

If you're willing to spend money on a hardware encoder, why not either buy an inexpensive PC and put Procoder on it, or buy a Mac/Intel and put Procoder on that instead? The thing is, you'll get as good a result with software, it will just be slower than hardware.
I use Compressor for some things, but I also use BitVice, which I think is a much better encoder. So my advice would be, look into BitVice (It's been talked about in this forum, so do a search) and if you like what you hear, use that.

Here they are:
http://www.innobits.com/
Go to the Downloads page for a free older version to test.
Ed

[Multiple Words] "Thanks David for the reply. What hardware encoding options are available? (other than something like a dedicated Scenarist workstation)

I would be very interested in an (affordable) hardware solution."

Return to posts index

jay lee
Re: BitVice Demo Crashing
on Sep 11, 2007 at 10:36:49 pm

Bitvice demo crashing on both our new 8-core machines. Very dissapointing!!

Cheers,

J

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Sep 12, 2007 at 1:57:46 pm

You should join the innobits forum, they answer that exact problem (with a workaround for now). They also say that there may be a Universal version in a month or so.
Ed

Here's what they say:
>>>>There is a permanent solution in the works.
Meanwhile the workaround for 8 cores is to disable some of the cores.
When starting BitVice, turn off at least one core.
(You can turn all back on again once BitVice has started, though. That is unless you first want to start several other BitVices to run concurrently. To do that, take a look at this "Power TIP, (If you feel the need for speed.)" http://www.innobits.com/f/index.php?topic=1188.0 )

If you have not done so before, you need to install the "Computer Hardware Understanding Development (CHUD) Tools" from Apple.
You will find the 31.7 MB .dmg file here http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/

When installed, a "Processor" icon appears in the "Hardware" section of the System Preferences window, see picture. Click this icon to change the CPU settings. That window may of course look different depending on which Mac model you have and how many CPUs it has. You can make changes there anytime, at least with BitVice. The work in progress on the CPUs you disable will automatically be migrated to the CPUs which are still enabled.<<<

[jay lee] "Bitvice demo crashing on both our new 8-core machines. Very dissapointing!!
"

Return to posts index

francesco Pio tessarolo
on Oct 28, 2011 at 4:58:13 am

The files produced by episode are not useful for dvd studio pro. There is no way to make a mpeg 2 for dvd sp.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]