FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting .mkv movie for DVD / Quicktime (Mov/MPEG2)

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BklynHunger
Converting .mkv movie for DVD / Quicktime (Mov/MPEG2)
on Sep 1, 2007 at 9:16:23 pm

Hello people,

I am trying to convert a .mkv movie on my mac G5 - it is in MKV format (matroska video file). I have only been able to view this movie by using the VLC player which a friend recommended to me as a good all around player which recognizes most formats. Now I am hoping to convert this mkv movie for dvd - i am using dvd studio pro but when i tried bringing it into compressor it did not recognize the file format in order to convert it into MMPEG2 & aac.

I am hoping to find a good conversion tool for my mac to keep the quality high and create either quicktime mov's or mpeg & aac - any suggestions people?

Ideally i would keep the quality at the highest possible for this almost 2 hour movie and then I think worry about compressing it for dvd using Compressor before bringing it into DVDSP.

Thank you for your time and enjoy the holiday.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Converting .mkv movie for DVD / Quicktime (Mov/MPEG2)
on Sep 1, 2007 at 10:52:42 pm

Their site only shows VLC and MPlayer. Just for the heck of it I'd try MPEGStreamclip. I've also found MPEGStreamclip Beta to play things the previous release couldn't. I've never run into an .mkv file myself. If you can play it in VLC or MPlayer maybe SnapZProX can actually capture the playback itslef.
http://www.matroska.org/downloads/others.html

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 1, 2007 at 10:55:35 pm

Looks like any number of things can be wrapped in .mkv

http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/codecid/index.html

Return to posts index

BklynHunger
on Sep 1, 2007 at 11:21:21 pm

Hey thanks for replying to my post - i just tried using MPEG Streamclip and it says that it is an unrecognized file type - and i do actually have Snapz Pro x but this is an entire 2 hour movie and i feel like its just too much to try to snapz in terms of file size and possible glitches and such - any other ideas out there. Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]