FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sorenson Video 3

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
novacaine
Sorenson Video 3
on Aug 27, 2007 at 9:05:51 am

I have a 864x486 quicktime file compressed using Sorenson Video 3, at 29.97. I imported into FCP6 at 4:3 to get letterbox to match all the other video asset that were sent to me. What compression setting should I use to maintain its quality? Should I select interlaced or progressive for this file? What settings produce the best quality exporting into Compressor3 to create a .m2v for a SD DVD in DSP4?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sorenson Video 3
on Sep 1, 2007 at 3:28:21 pm

[novacaine] "I have a 864x486 quicktime file compressed using Sorenson Video 3, at 29.97."

Get the source material if you can. You don't mention the data rate so I have no idea what the quality is but the source is likely to look much better.

[novacaine] "What compression setting should I use to maintain its quality?"
Are you asking about FCP timeline codec to work in? You're not going to make the source look any better. If you're adding graphics you may want to work in a higher quality 4:2:2 codec but I have no idea how that'll compare with the quality of your Sorenson .mov source which may or may not be heavily compromised already.

[novacaine] "Should I select interlaced or progressive for this file?"
Is your source interlaced or progressive? I'd guess, given that it was compressed with Sorenson codec that it might have been deinterlaced already.

[novacaine] "What settings produce the best quality exporting into Compressor3 to create a .m2v for a SD DVD in DSP4? "
You're not going to improve the quality of your source. In most circumstance I'd cringe at the thought of taking a Sorenson encoded file into an NLE, changing to a timeline codec, taking through a round of MPEG2 compression.

Maybe 8 or 10 bit uncompressed or Apple's new ProRes codec but no matter what you do I'd say do all you can to get the original source rather than a Sorenson encoded file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]