FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need help understanding H.264 in Squeeze

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AlphaChannel
Need help understanding H.264 in Squeeze
on Aug 26, 2007 at 12:43:20 am

I thought I understood Squeeze pretty well but now I realize that I'm more of a novice than I want to admit. For months I've been supplying video files rendered from After Effects to our Flash guys by simply creating a .mov file (Animation codec) and generating a compressed .flv with Squeeze 4.3.

Recently we built a website that uses scalable full screen video as a background element. I started with a 1080 X 720 video file and after monkeying about with the VP6 codec in Squeeze I produced an flv file that was barely passable (as compared to the HD original).

All that said I'm trying to understand how (or if) Squeeze's intergration with the H.264 codec may help yield better results within our workflow. Also I've heard some say that .wmv may be a better option over .flv. Does that mean I'm just handing the flash designer a .wmv instead of an .flv?

As I type this I'm feeling more confused by the minute. Is there a website that has already covered this in detail?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Need help understanding H.264 in Squeeze
on Aug 26, 2007 at 9:49:05 pm

[AlphaChannel] "Recently we built a website that uses scalable full screen video as a background element. I started with a 1080 X 720 video file and after monkeying about with the VP6 codec in Squeeze I produced an flv file that was barely passable (as compared to the HD original)."

I assure you, the problem you encountered is not with the VP6 Flash codec, its a wonderful codec, so don't freak out and start looking toward H.264 or WMV to save you. Whatever mistake you might have made in your conversion to Flash would have created a similarly unacceptable QT or WMV file.

I don't use Sorenson Squeeze, I use ON2 Flix Pro, but the Flash engine and settings are very similar in both apps. What settings did you use? Perhaps I can help you to pinpoint your error.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY

Return to posts index

AlphaChannel
on Aug 26, 2007 at 10:40:11 pm

I'm not work right now but I can give more details tomorrow if need be.

2-Pass VBR
Data rate: 300 kB/sec
Auto Keyframe: 300
Minimum distance: 8
Maximun Quality: 100
Minimum Quality: 50

The original file is an 8 second .mov (Animation codec).

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 1, 2007 at 3:38:25 pm

That data rate is kinda low if you're targeting a large frame size.

IMHO the FIRST thing anybody needs to do before compressing anything to anything else is . . . KNOW YOUR TARGET.

Basically you need to know HOW the viewer will be viewing the results of your work.
From dial-up to desktop capability, you need to examine that.

Return to posts index

AlphaChannel
on Sep 3, 2007 at 1:43:41 am

The Flash designers are building the site assuming the user has at least a 768kB/sec connection.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]