FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting FLVs

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Berr763
Converting FLVs
on Aug 22, 2007 at 7:12:06 pm

Hello,

Wondering if a mast compressionist can help a sister out. I am converting FLVs for a web site. I am using Sorenson Squeeze - On2 codec. Each video is anywhere from 2 - 3 minutes in length. The dimensions of each video needs to be 425x320 and they want to keep the file size under 5megs each. I need the videos to look their best. I really understand compression so throw whatever you have at me. I've tried every formula I can think of. I've been using 2-pass VBR b/c we don't have a dedicated streaming server. The videos will all be progressive downloads. From what I understand I need to keep the data rate down, I haven't gone above 300Kbps and I don't want to go below b/c it makes the picture look crappy. I've tried changing the frame rate to 15fps, 10fps, 2:1, 3:1, etc. One thing I should include is that I started with a beautiful uncompressed QT before I added settings. I feel like I'm doing everything right but it's not as good as I need it to be. Maybe what I want isn't possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance!

-Berr

Return to posts index

Berr763
Re: Converting FLVs
on Aug 22, 2007 at 7:18:13 pm

One thing to add is that I knocked the audio down to Mono and 40Kbps so that can't be my size issue.

Thx

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: Converting FLVs
on Aug 22, 2007 at 8:40:30 pm

The frame dimensions are not 4:3 or equally divisable by 8, as the VP6 codec prefers.

What you want to also try and avoid is for the player to be resizing your clip on playback. I'd try and get them to resize the player window to 416x312 and encode to that size, remember to deinterlace unless your source is progressive. At that sort of frame size I'd be looking at 350-500kb/s 2-pass, which should give you fairly good quality, depending on the material.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]