FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting a video file to .flv (best codec to start with)

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CitizenCaino
Converting a video file to .flv (best codec to start with)
on Aug 21, 2007 at 2:14:05 pm

I am encoding video in Sony Vegas (PC) and bringing it to another department who is converting it to .flv files using Flash 7 on a Mac. We have so far found that a .mov with DV compression works, but the files are quite large. Have not found anything else that works (mpg2 came close but dropped the audio). Does anyone know the best codec/container to render a video file out to and bring it up to a Mac to encode into a .flv file?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Converting a video file to .flv (best codec to start with)
on Aug 21, 2007 at 2:59:55 pm

Hmm, seems you have conflicting needs. Best vs large. Unfortunately Best is often large so you're going to have to make a difficult choice.

Best, IMHO, is keeping it in the timeline codec. If you're workind in DV, that's DV. If you're working in DVCProHD then it's that, etc. Idealy, you want to hand the compressionist a file that has gone through NO additional compression and yes that will likely be a large file.

You don't mention with what are they doing the Flash 7 compression on the Mac with. There may be import file compatibility limits depending on the software use. Cleaner 6.5.1, Squeeze 4.5.600.1, Episode 4.3.2, other? The compressionist really needs to know this (know their tool of choice) and give you the specs.

I'm not entirely familiar with Vegas and you haven't mentioned what they're using to do the compression with on the Mac but you should be able to wrap your output in .avi and might be able to do it to .mov without any further compression (although I'm honestly not sure about the later given you're on a PC and it's a Sony product). Yes that'll be a big file. Why not just put that on an external hard drive and hand it to the compressionist?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]