FORUMS: list search recent posts

Field order issues (complex question coming from a newbie)

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ChrisReid
Field order issues (complex question coming from a newbie)
on Aug 16, 2007 at 7:07:53 pm

People, I`m having a very anoying problem with this damn "field order" thing, I believe, and I made infinite tests and can`t find the issue. I got a closed DVD (just like the one you buy from the store), and my job is to reauthor it, in another language. To start, it is a NTSC 16:9 DVD. Well, what I`m doing is Demuxing the main feature of the DVD to MPEG2 (using DVD Decrypter and then transfering the files to my Mac), so far, so good, the video looks right when playing on TV. About the menus, I watch them, recreate their structure in PSDs, animate in After Effects, export to Quicktime and then convert to MPEG2 to author in DVD Studio Pro. The menus and the video that plays behind it as part of the animation looks horrible when I play them on TV. What I want to know is how should I convert these videos from start to end so I don't get these errors. I will describe exactly how I'm doing it below.

Parts of the main movie (that are used with the new menus):

Ripping using DVD Shrink to VOB on PC. From these VOBs I demux their audio with MPEG Streamclip and the video, I convert to Uncompressed 10Bit 4:2:2 .MOV from FCP. The sequences in Final Cut Pro are set to:
- Frame Size "720x480 NTSC DV (3:2)";
- Pixel aspect "NTSC - CCIR 601/DV (720x480)" with anamorphic 16:9 marked positively;
- field dominance changed to "Upper (Odd)" because on an earlier project of the same kind, but a NTSC 4:3, it worked good (not that I know what I did here)

Now, from these .MOV files, I animate the new menus and export them to "animation" (still .MOV) from After Effects ("Compodition Setting" set to NTSC DV Widescreen preset). These settings are:

- Render settings: Best Quality preset but with the Upper Field First in Field Render dialog selected
- Output Module: a Quicktime Movie with the Compression Type as "Animation" with "Milions of Colors" as Depth and the quality slider all to the right ("Best"), no Stretch or Crop selected.

OK, last one, from these newly animated .MOVs, I convert them to M2V using Compressor with "DVD 90 min best quality 6.2 Mbps" with the "Top First" selected for the "Field Dominance" option (aspect ratio 16:9 set automaticaly).

From this, when I burn a DVD from DVDSP, I get the bad quality described above. Anyone who can help me???? Pleeeeease. Thanks very much for your time.

Return to posts index

msacci
Re: Field order issues (complex question coming from a newbie)
on Aug 17, 2007 at 6:15:28 pm

[ChrisReid] "- field dominance changed to "Upper (Odd)" because on an earlier project of the same kind, but a NTSC 4:3, it worked good (not that I know what I did here)"

[ChrisReid] "ender settings: Best Quality preset but with the Upper Field First in Field Render dialog selected"

NTSC SD is always lower first

Return to posts index

ChrisReid
on Aug 17, 2007 at 6:40:07 pm

[msacci] "NTSC SD is always lower first"

Does this means I must set my Field Dominance sequence setting in FCP to None, or should I leave at Lower (default)???

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Aug 17, 2007 at 8:48:29 pm

[msacci] "NTSC SD is always lower first"

This isn't always true. Some systems use UFF and some use LFF. You need to know which NLE system you're working on, its field order and go from there.

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | Codec Resource Site | Cinesoft | Media Batch

Return to posts index

ChrisReid
on Aug 17, 2007 at 9:03:35 pm

What do you mean by "systems"? What is NLE? How do I discover all that? Sorry, but I'm really a newbie with this compression thing.

Return to posts index

msacci
on Aug 17, 2007 at 6:23:23 pm

As long as the orginal DVD does not have CSS, I use Cinematize Pro to demux - it does it in one step, I normally export to a DVCPro50 or 10-Bit Uncompressed codec, so I get 4:2:2 color space, DVCPro50 can be easier since it is 720x480 and you don't have to deal with the 486 which 10-Bit should be.

But you switch the field dominance is why you are having problems. NEVER do that!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]