FORUMS: list search recent posts

Progressive download

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grady Knight
Progressive download
on Aug 7, 2007 at 9:27:54 pm

I am in the process of trying to start a real estate video tour site. I have pretty much settled on using Flash for the main delivery to people with highspeed connections. The videos are 2 - 7 minutes long and I want to keep the visual quality very good.

My problem is trying to figure out the best delivery format for people with dial-up connections. I am plannig to have a link where they can download the file then watch the video.

Is WMF the best format for this? Seems like everything I try has large file sizes. I have tried DivX, Real, QT. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Progressive download
on Aug 7, 2007 at 10:01:45 pm

I'm not sure I see the marketing value given the poor video quality you'd get with dial up data rates. Also someone on dial up may not have the latest players.

You might try a data rate of 40kbps, no audio so all the data would be in the video. 5 to 10fps, 192x144 frame size. You could use WMV9 since that'll playback on players going back to WMP7.1.

I think you'd be better off with jpegs (stills). With real estate you're selling images. Certainly video can give a better sense of the real estate but you're not going to get any nice moving video for dial up users. While dial up use might be passible for talking head stuff, camera motion is going to fall apart badly.

Return to posts index

Grady Knight
on Aug 7, 2007 at 10:59:37 pm

Thanks.

I guess I should quit looking for the impossible. Will just add an email link so we can mail a DVD of the video.
So much for the instant gratification. But I guess that with dialup you have to wait for everything...

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Aug 8, 2007 at 3:49:05 pm

There's a middle ground - put in a link to a high quality web video. That way you don't have to worry about email attachment size, nor the customer losing interest waiting for the DVD>

My compression blog: http://on10.net/blogs/benwagg/

My compression class at Stanford: http://digitalmediaacademy.org/courses/video-compression-training.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]