FORUMS: list search recent posts

to high bit-rate for h264

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john c
to high bit-rate for h264
on Jul 31, 2007 at 8:53:12 am

Hello,

I want to upload a clip for current tv. I know from uploading clips to youtube you want the largest file possible, due to the file being re-encoded. So I used the h264 codec at 2mps, and get a 6.7meg file for a original 623meg file which is uncompressed. I think that this is to small a file to be re-compressed by videoegg, so I up the bitrate until at 30mps I get a 45.8meg file. Will there be a problem with using a bitrate this high if it is going to be re-encoded anyway? Is there a point where increasing the bitrate will have no effect on the file?

Return to posts index

Evil Ash Editor
Re: to high bit-rate for h264
on Jul 31, 2007 at 5:59:25 pm

I've found with You Tube, that it's not neccessarily that you want to have the largest filesize possible, but that you want to follow their specs of 320x240 and 29.97 fps. They do recompress their videos anyway, but as long as you stick to those specs and use a good mpeg 4 codec, like h.264, or I frequently use the Sorenson AVC codecs, you'll get good results. Check out Current TV for a spec sheet, I'm sure they'll have a set of specs to get optimum results. Every server will be different and have different bandwidth requirements.

To answer about is there a point to where bitrate won't affect the video quality, yes there usually is a point to where higher bitrate doesn't neccessarily result in any cleaner video, but that point will depend on the codec. I find with h.264 at 320x240 there's rarely a need to go much higher than 768 kbs. Sometimes with very high motion video I'll go up to 1200 kbs, I always spit out my first encode at 768 to get a good frame of reference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]