FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP ref movie to Squeeze

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Desrever
FCP ref movie to Squeeze
on Jul 25, 2007 at 6:30:30 pm

I'm having an issue with pixelation when compressing a QT movie with Sorenson. I'm exporting a QT movie at project settings; DV NTSC size/frame rate/aspect ratio with lower field first. As expected, the graphics look crisp when opened again with FCP and pixelated and somewhat nasty when opened directly with QT. After exporting it from Squeeze at a variety of different compression settings (QT large/small preset, etc), I find that the titling throughout the clip at every setting looks quite.. umm, not-crisp. My titles generated in AE have a 3pt stroke outlining them, and this looks particularly hideous.
Should I be using Squeezes deinterlacing filter prior to compressing this clip? Am I somehow missing a step converting interlaced to progressive in FCP? Or are my expectations from Sorenson too high? I've seen really sharp graphics and titles on many sites and am curious as to the compression scheme used...

Thanks for any info
Sorry for the long post.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: FCP ref movie to Squeeze
on Jul 25, 2007 at 8:42:59 pm

FCP uses Quicktime as its "base." If you open an FCP DV ref movie (or self contained) you'll see the interlacing and the video pixel aspect ratio.

As to what's happening in Squeeze it may very well depend on what settings you're using. Squeeze doesn't have the most flexible processing filters but you'd need to post the details, settings, preprocessing (if any) you're using. Also keep in mind that DV isn't the best codec to work in if you're expecting "crisp" (or even smooth) graphics.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]