FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advise needed for Episode

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
griffeyt53
Advise needed for Episode
on Jul 25, 2007 at 1:57:31 pm

I'm evaluating Episode. It is working well. I'm using short clips with various types of shots for the evaluation. The default templates are being used for now. Can someone suggest an optimization of a template that works well with shots with extreme motion?

Thank you!

Terry

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: Advise needed for Episode
on Jul 25, 2007 at 2:40:29 pm

What templates are you working with?

Generally though:

Increase the bitrate and/or add more forced keyframes.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 25, 2007 at 7:47:28 pm

What Danny2007 said. If you're not doing streaming you might want to consider 2 Pass VBR for a more efficient file size giving the codec room to "breath" (increase bit rate) for the fast motion parts. You may also need to look at deinterlace settings if your source is not progressive.

You'll get "natural" key frames on edit points generally but the farther you get aways from an edit point/natural key frame, with fast motion, the more likely you'll want/need "forced" key frames. With "long" (subjective) stretches of fast motion you'll want more "forced" key frames.

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Jul 25, 2007 at 7:13:01 pm

What format are you targeting?

My compression blog: http://on10.net/blogs/benwagg/

My compression class at Stanford: http://digitalmediaacademy.org/courses/video-compression-training.html

Return to posts index

griffeyt53
on Jul 25, 2007 at 8:00:38 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. They are much appreciated. The sequences and .mov files are HDV 1440 x 1080 interlaced. I'm creating SD DVD MPEG-2 output using the HD->SD NTSC_6Mbit video with the DVD Audio 192K templates. The very fast motion sequences are very blurry. I'll dig into the template settings and try the suggestions given so far and report back. Seems like a very nice tool and very easy to use. Feels a lot more "solid" than Compressor if you know what I mean. Thanks again!
Terry

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 25, 2007 at 8:35:20 pm

And keep this nifty thought in mind. If there's anything you like about Compressor 3, you can use the Episode/Compressor plugin which comes with Episode.

You might try doing a 2 Pass encode (with a much longer encode time) and maybe even scene change detection to force some more keyframes (I-frames) beyond that of the GOP structure.

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Jul 25, 2007 at 8:49:32 pm

That's more like it - there's now some meat on your bone!

The standard settings default to a resize interpolation method of 'Automatic', you might want to change that to bicubic and have your Interlace options set to Progressive output

You will also want to add a deinterlace step, and experiment with various ways of creating new fields, I suggest an interpolation method, others get great results from blending.

I've not seen your source, so the above is subject to that being right and exact!

D

Return to posts index

griffeyt53
on Jul 26, 2007 at 12:50:43 am

Thank you all so much for your responses. I've taken your suggestions and have had very good results experimenting with many different configurations. The most extreme shot tested is a hand-held telephoto of a very rare species of a rainbow gecko with plenty of light. They move very sporadically and in very quick, sudden movements and stop to sense their environment every second or so. Difficult shot with some quite ugly output without a Steadicam at the chosen focal length. Garbage in, garbage out one might say but wanted to use a worse-case scenario to test the product and am impressed with the output based upon your suggestions.

Here are the settings I found that produced very good output with little blurring, consistent color, excellent conversion and very good detail. (Listed those different from the defaults - tried to be as accurate as possible.) If you have suggestions to make it better, I'm always willing to learn. (Craig - please read through these settings and tell me how to use 2-pass. It wasn't an option with the settings I've used.)

MPEG:
Coding type = Quality based
Encoding quality = 100%

Profile Settings:
Frame encode type = Progressive
Field order = Same as input (HDV is top - are they referring to output or input - wouldn't matter if progressive?)
Signal progressive sequence in bitstream is checked

Encoder Settings:
1-pass
Use change scene detection = YES

Frame Rate:
Algorithm = Motion compensated

DeInterlace:
Field order: Top
Create New Fields By: Interpolation

Am shooting on the road this week and will give a look with a calibrated monitor soon when I get home.
Thank you all so much for your input.
Terry

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Jul 26, 2007 at 12:29:32 am

Ah, so you're going interlaced to interlaced?

Make sure your output is:

16:9
interlaced Top Field First

You'll want to make sure that you have Motion Estimation set to Best as well.

My compression blog: http://on10.net/blogs/benwagg/

My compression class at Stanford: http://digitalmediaacademy.org/courses/video-compression-training.html

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 30, 2007 at 5:13:19 pm

[Ben Waggoner] "You'll want to make sure that you have Motion Estimation set to Best as well."

Sounds like a Compressor setting.
In Episode, in Frame Rate, Algorithm/Motion Compensated.

If you're deinterlacing -
Create New Fields (avoid Duplication unless encode speed is critical)
The choices between Interpolation, Blending, Edge Detecting (and Heavy) depend on content.
Blending give smoother motion but less sharp than Interpolation. Edge Detecting Interpolation can give you more distinct diagonals.

Return to posts index

griffeyt53
on Jul 31, 2007 at 12:45:53 am

Thanks ya'll for your input. Spent some time over the weekend going over every link in the help docs and has been very beneficial, learned a bunch and still have a lot to learn. Experimented with many settings/combination of steps and have made some "very difficult" FCP sequence .mov output transformed to .m2v files look very good on an average DVD player with component input into a standard TV (basically the setup of my customers).

The Episode engine has worked flawlessly every time I've sent it a job. My experience with Compressor 3.0.1 has not produced the same results.

Everyone's input has been invaluable in the learning curve. Lots to learn. Am very grateful to all for their input and support for this forum.

Terry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]