FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help with Flash Video???

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve C
Help with Flash Video???
on Jul 20, 2007 at 2:41:51 pm

We are trying to encode our shows and segments to Flash video.

2 situations are arising that I don

Return to posts index

Evil Ash Editor
Re: Help with Flash Video???
on Jul 20, 2007 at 7:00:18 pm

I haven't used Cleaner for the Mac, but I did use Cleaner XL 1.5 for the PC, and I know they were using the WildFlix codec for flv videos, and I seemed to get great results with that codec, especially at low bit rates. I recently purchased Sorenson Squeeze Power Pack, which encodes FLV videos with the VP6 codec, which is a newer codec and I get much better results. I know that anyway you look at it, that's going to cost money which your C.O.O probably won't be thrilled about, but I would highly recommend you encode your flash video with the VP6 codec. You can use Sorenson Squeeze (but you'll need the Flash plugin, included with the power pack) or you can use Episode to encode Flash videos with VP6.

Return to posts index

Steve C
on Jul 20, 2007 at 9:04:46 pm

Thanks I'll look into that.
Your right about him not being pleased about using a different software.

Thanks again;

Steve Cohen

Editor

O2 Media Inc.

Return to posts index

epontius
on Jul 21, 2007 at 5:42:50 am

You might also look into the Flix exporter from On2, it's a Quicktime Exporter...so you should be able to export out of Quicktime Pro, Compressor, etc... It does a fine job of encoding.

http://on2.com/products/flix/exporter/

Erik

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Jul 23, 2007 at 8:38:19 am

I'd suggest using a correct 4:3 (or 16:9) frame size such as 480x360. Crop your source - getting rid of uneven lines around the edge of the frame and letterboxing, apply some colour correction (it's too dark generally as well as washed out in the whites). As 90% of the clip was letterboxed 16:9 - why not just serve it as 16:9?

I'd also question the mashup of 4:3 & 16:9 where transitions are happening over the letterboxing, but that's asthetics more than video compression quality.

DL

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 24, 2007 at 3:16:28 am

I could not see the clip, but one I agree with croppiing from the sides. This basically crops off the action safe area getting more of the "meat" of the shots. I also agree that if you have letterbox material crop off all the top and bottom where the letterbox is. Again, didn't see the clip, but if we have a letterbox show we crop off all the black top and bottom.

We also go with 15 fps on almost everything. Again, didn't see your clip so am not sure if you were already doing that.

I am also not sure why it is taking so long...you didn't specify what computer you are using to encode with. Nor what the source file is.

Let us know,

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Jul 24, 2007 at 8:26:06 am

Obviously cropping just the sides and not top or bottom will result in distorting the picture. Make sure any cropping maintains the correct frame aspect ratio. (Yours is already too wide)

Return to posts index

Steve C
on Jul 24, 2007 at 11:40:25 am

Thanks;

My IT department removed the clip from the server.

I will keep the suggestions in mind.

As I said I'm using Cleaner 6.5 for Mac.
The quality, in my and most everyone else's option is pretty good, but Cleaner takes forever to encode. 25 min for a 1 min clip and the majority of stuf we so it 30 min informercials. At that rate it will take 12-15 hours to encode the piece.

Can't spend that much time on it.
i'm going to give Squeeze for Flash a try.

Thanks again.

Steve Cohen

Editor

O2 Media Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]