FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Compressor 3 "unknown time remaining" WHY!??!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TheBullet
Apple Compressor 3 "unknown time remaining" WHY!??!
on Jul 20, 2007 at 2:08:18 pm

Ok, this has happened to me on 2 different computers (both G5 towers). Ok, so I used compressorer 3 to change some video files from .mov to .m2v (using the DVD best quality 90 minutes setting). I did about 5 files and they worked good. So then i setup about 5 more batches and left it to go overnight. Checked in the morning the computer was frozen. SO i restarted, but NOW, when i go to do the same thing, (I submit the batch with the same settings and save location), Instead of telling me how much time is left on the compression it just says "unknown time remaining" and it doesn't make the file.

Like i said, this EXACT same thing has happened now on 2 different computers. Any ideas how to fix it?? or why it does it??? I'm going crazy.

Return to posts index

TheBullet
Re: Apple Compressor 3 "unknown time remaining" WHY!??!
on Jul 20, 2007 at 11:37:30 pm

Just finished unistalling the whole FC studio, reinstalled it, and IT'S STILL DOING IT!?!??! I'm gonna cry. Please someone help

Return to posts index

Mickey Power
on Jul 23, 2007 at 11:34:22 am

There's an earlier thread about this. Seems to have happened to a few people including myself. All I did was delete the preferences for batch monitor (and I think) compressor.

Good luck.

Mickey

Return to posts index

TheBullet
on Jul 23, 2007 at 1:31:45 pm

hmm, sounds easy enough, but how to you 'delete' the preferences. Not quite clear on that. Thanks for your response.

Return to posts index

TheBullet
on Jul 23, 2007 at 8:49:14 pm

k, nevermind i figured out how to delete the preferences. But it still doesn't work. If you can point me to the other thread where this happened, i'd love to see it. I've searched, but i can't find it.

Return to posts index

Mickey Power
on Jul 23, 2007 at 11:55:46 pm

Try deleting preferences which can be found in your home directory>library>preferences>com.apple.Batchmonitor.plist [or com.apple.compressor.Compressor.plist] then reboot.

Worked for me.

Mickey

Return to posts index

griffeyt53
on Aug 2, 2007 at 1:13:23 pm

Lots of folks are experiencing this same problem. In consolidating the information from many boards, there are many "fixes" that unfortunately sometimes work, which is no solution at all. What I see is that there is a connection between network state, active interface and the problem rearing its ugly head. The log files point to this also with ports (sockets) becoming unavailable. The executable that is throwing this exception looks to be an OS-level class that interacts directly with the hardware. This seems logical because the Intel Mac folks seem to be having many more problems than others. As an example, Compressor works in the hotel where I installed the software with the wireless card active. I take the laptop into work, with no network connection and it doesn't work. I take it back to the hotel at night and it works again after deleting the prefs already described in this thread. Don't know whether this is IP address specific or not but will keep investigating. If I get it isolated and consistent, I'll take it to Apple. Thanks!
Terry

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
johatk
on Aug 8, 2007 at 12:33:44 pm

I had a similar problem with unknown timing - It was a file stuck in the Batch folder. I couldn't even erase it. Even turning off the whole computer did not remove the file from the Batch folder. Here's a solution I found on the Apple support site...and it works.

1. In Finder select go, go to folder
2. Enter: var/spool/qmaster
3. This will find a folder (oddly named with numeral & text). Trash the folders you see INside this folder (mine were called Shared & Jobs
4. In compressor, select the menu item Compressor/reset Background Processing.

John.

Return to posts index

griffeyt53
on Aug 30, 2007 at 1:08:35 am

Have spent a lot of time working on this scenario and it appears to be two different paradigms.

You will receive the "unknown time remaining" if you have selected many filters and changes to the default presets. Tests have shown that you will eventually get a "time remaining" if you wait for a great deal of time if this is your scenario. Can't do much about this. However...

You will also receive the "unknown time remaining" if your default network interface (when you installed Compressor) is not enabled and connected when you invoke the program. When I installed Compressor in my tests and my wireless interface was enabled as the default, Compressor would only run when the wireless interface is active and connected. I completely uninstalled FCS 2 and ran a script to remove QMaster and then reinstalled with the wireless interface disabled and the internal NIC connected and enabled. Compressor would only then run when the NIC was enabled and active. You can check this by using the Activity Monitor to observe the processes running on the box. You will find that the Compressor PIDS (processor thread IDs) die when they can't find the network interface (after some retries) and you will also see this in the Batch Monitor log files. I've tested this hypothesis 4 times and the behavior is 100% consistent. More support for this hypothesis can be found in the system logs. Entries indicate that an OS level method call is failing because it can't find the appropriate network interface. Have sent this data to Apple support for their evaluation.

The best way to fix this at this time before Apple addresses the issue (at a code level) is to delete the Compressor and Batch Monitor prefs and restart with the same network interface connected (as the default) when you installed Compressor. Use a terminal interface and go to /var/spool/Qmaster/ and delete all the folders/files waiting in the queue before you reboot.

This is not really a Compressor problem but a QMaster distributed networking problem from what I've determined from the log files and the executable exceptions.

Thanks.
TG

Return to posts index

David Frey
on Aug 24, 2009 at 10:26:22 pm

Hello TG,

it seems like you've done extensive research and testing and finally found a solution until apple gets off their butts and does something about this. I believe I understand the basic idea of your solution, but as I've spent quite a bit of time trying to fix this problem, could you please clarify a few things for the novice mac operators.

How would I go about switching from a wireless interface to enabling the internal NIC. My main method of connecting to the internet is via Wireless connections, so if I enabled the internal NIC would I not be able to connect wirelessly? If I'm connected wirelessly while I'm installing compressor ( and all of fcs 3)
will compressor work as you've mentioned regardless of which wireless network I'm connected too.

Also if you have any advice, or websites that could assist me in removing qmaster, that would be great.

I'm sorry for all the questions. This compressor problem has been driving me mad, and I have a project which needs transcoding pronto.

Thanks you again TG

Return to posts index

lookfrancisison
on Jan 28, 2008 at 8:33:37 pm

hey. i know its probably been a while since you checked this forum and i am having the unknown time remaining error at a very bad time (given the fact that i do videos for 18th birthdays and whatnot and i have a deadline). i really need all the help i can get and ive done extensive research. so let me say this in what i think youre saying

you want me to:
a) open finder and in the search bar on the top right you want me to..
b) search "var/spool/qmaster"
c) look in the results for a folder that is "oddly named with numeral & text"
d) then trash/delete the folders in the folder that is "oddly named with numeral & text"
e) then open compressor and select the menu item compressor/reset background processing

could you maybe explain the last step better in something like this format: file>open | file>edit something like that?

Return to posts index

johatk
on Jan 29, 2008 at 4:31:15 am

Your interpretation is correct.

To help clarify the last point. Open Compressor program.

Compressor>Reset Background Processing...

{you are actually telling compressor then not to worry about what's being processed in the background...i.e I think the files you've just deleted.}

Hope this helps.
John.

Return to posts index

matt coleman
on Nov 18, 2008 at 5:35:01 am

If deleting pref's didn't work then try this.....
Check your batch monitor to see if you have any previous projects still trying to be processed. Once you open batch monitor, click on "this computer". If you see old projects still working....go into compressor. At the top, click on "compressor" to get the drop down menu, then "reset background processing." Should fix the problem.

Return to posts index

Joey Brown
on Nov 29, 2008 at 6:15:07 pm

I've been through every "fix" mentioned in this thread and still can't get it to work. I moved a few weeks ago so my IP is different - I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, removing all the preferences and files associated with the programs and everything else. Hopefully Apple will release a fix to this because I've been trying to get this to work for the past week. If anyone else has solved this problem using methods not mentioned yet, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Aaron Ross
on Sep 1, 2010 at 12:38:42 am

Man, you are awesome, My batch monitor was full with awaiting processes. I deleted all of them and now everything is good. Thanks alot for the help...

Return to posts index

Chris Lachman
on Dec 20, 2008 at 7:10:36 am

FOUND this thread and the solution works - thank God !!!!!!

Apple should really get off their .... and fix Compressor. I only bother with it because it came with FCP and I dont want to fork out more money. such a shame that they can't get it to work after all these years.

Export via QT - which I understand uses the same essential engine - never gives problems.

THANKS FOR THE SOLUTION.

Return to posts index

hope holmesby
on Jul 27, 2009 at 10:24:37 pm

just a note....

after deleting preferences, restarting, shutting down, etc nothing helped except this:

found that even tho one resets background processing (compressor/reset background processing), and even tho you go to the batch processor and look, and it 'looks' as tho all the jobs are gone...

just wait a moment and you will see that they will all pop back on, they are all still there, all the batches you tried to start, and unless you actually go to each one and click the 'x', in the batch monitor panel, they will all be queued and keep running and you will keep getting the 'unknown time' message in the history panel.

also read somewhere that the batch monitor only deletes all items queued every 24 hrs. so they will remain. the main point is to CANCEL with the 'x' in that box. Otherwise all the batches will remain and just keep trying to process, and you will keep getting the unknown time message.

Good luck to all who come down this road.

Hope

Return to posts index

hope holmesby
on Jul 27, 2009 at 10:42:03 pm

In the batch monitor where it lists all the batches, there is the name and status:

Status may be: 'Cancelled', 'Queued', 'Done', or 'Processing'

Note this very carefully....they need to read that they are 'done' or 'cancelled'.

Also note: this list of batches in the Batch Monitor WILL NOT DELETE OR STOP PROCESSING OR QUEUING even with quitting, or shutting down.

Once that is assured, then start a new compression.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Bryce McNamara
on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:06:53 pm

I've recently had this same initial issue with Compressor while trying to compress using the 90 minute DVD setting. I've tried quite a few of the suggestions mentioned here but to no avail. Finally I found a nifty little piece of software that sorted out this issue for me.

Check out the following: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/compressor_repair.htm

Cheers,
Bryce

Melbourne, Australia

Return to posts index

hope holmesby
on Oct 1, 2009 at 6:07:41 pm

thanks so much. have used it 2 times alread.

Life is here to enjoy.

Return to posts index

James Goodenough
on Oct 9, 2009 at 11:40:02 am

It worked!
You are officially my best friend for the next 10 minutes!

Return to posts index

Heath Robinson
on Jan 7, 2010 at 7:57:03 pm

You are my new favorite person. Batch monitor trick works wonders.

"I find you lack of backwards compatibility disturbing"

Return to posts index

Eric Boucher
on Oct 14, 2009 at 3:01:23 pm

THIS WORKS!
I also trashed batch prefs as noted in earlier posts.
Remember to reset background processing!

Return to posts index

Brandon Ivey
on Oct 16, 2009 at 3:56:48 pm

Well, I cant find var/spool/Qmaster on my Mac and I used teh Compressor repair and sit still did not work. I have a batch that I started this morning that started working fine, then crashed. Since then, it wont run. It just sits there saying "unknown time remaining". The bar doesn't move or anything.

Return to posts index

Brandon Ivey
on Oct 16, 2009 at 3:57:09 pm

Well, I cant find var/spool/Qmaster on my Mac and I used teh Compressor repair and sit still did not work. I have a batch that I started this morning that started working fine, then crashed. Since then, it wont run. It just sits there saying "unknown time remaining". The bar doesn't move or anything.

Return to posts index

Brandon Ivey
on Oct 16, 2009 at 3:58:01 pm

Wait, it just started. So we will see....

Return to posts index

Brandon Ivey
on Oct 16, 2009 at 4:02:15 pm

Well, now it shows 17 seconds and is moving way too fast for 50+ 90 sec videos

Return to posts index

Paco Sweetman
on Feb 8, 2010 at 12:53:27 pm

[ Here's a solution I found on the Apple support site...and it works.

1. In Finder select go, go to folder
2. Enter: var/spool/qmaster
3. This will find a folder (oddly named with numeral & text). Trash the folders you see INside this folder (mine were called Shared & Jobs
4. In compressor, select the menu item Compressor/reset Background Processing.

John.]

This worked for me, plus I restart the computer afterwards. Running a Quadcore MacPro 2.66 Ghz. With FCP 7.1 and Compressor 3.5.1 (which I think caused the problem...)

Return to posts index

Brandon Ivey
on Feb 8, 2010 at 2:18:19 pm

Im Running SL 10.6.2 with FCS 6, and that folder could not be found. I had a fix for this before, but it came back. I even tried the Compressor repair tool, but that didnt work either.

Return to posts index

Eric Boucher
on Aug 13, 2010 at 5:42:47 pm

This info right here is a LIFE SAVER it really works!! well for me it did.

THANK YOU!

Return to posts index

Nathan Mobley
on Dec 18, 2009 at 9:30:29 pm

It happened to me after I tried to share my internet connection with another mac on our network. Once I disable internet sharing, it worked just fine.

Return to posts index

andre oziol
on Dec 27, 2009 at 7:28:36 am

thank you so much nathan i tried all the other fixes and none of them helped and am so releived that this one worked. thanks. If you have tried all the rest try what nathan said and turn off computer internet sharing in the system preferences internet settings.

Return to posts index

Andrew Noon
on Sep 29, 2011 at 8:25:32 pm

I just ran in to the same problem and for me after reading this forum it was an easy fix. What I did was opened Compressor. Then went to Compressor>Reset Background Processing... My Internet Sharing was already off as some people previously mentioned to try. I went to System Preferences, then under Internet & Wireless, clicked Sharing, then deselected Web Sharing. I have no idea if deselecting Web Sharing contributed to fixing the issue. But this is what worked for me. I also deleted all of the project history in the compressor. Again, not sure if that contributed, but the whole process worked. I would suggest initially trying the Reset Background Processing, then go from there if that doesn't fix your problem.

Thanks so much to everybody who commented in this thread, you are a huge help!

Return to posts index

Stephen Cook
on Mar 7, 2012 at 10:02:00 pm

I had the same exact problem as above and followed all the steps. The only thing that fixed it and finally got me back and running was deleting all the old history projects. I think it was trying to run old failed projects again for some reason.
So just keep your History box clean before each project, no matter what.

Return to posts index

Rolf Pedersen
on Sep 25, 2012 at 8:31:40 am

This solved it for me!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Linda Naks
on Jan 7, 2013 at 3:47:49 pm

Deleting the Batch Monitor's and ALL Compressor prefs, emptying trash, shutting down, unhooking all drives, restarting w/zapping PRAM a few times, and then re-mounting all drives worked for me. Thanks to all at Creative Cow for YET AGAIN saving my life and keeping one more editor off the streets of LA!

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Jan 8, 2013 at 1:19:56 am

LOL...oh boy....made me laugh, reading the part about 'off the streets of LA"
used to work in LA too....know the feeling...

sounds like you did a lot to get it going. probably you read the part about getting the repair thingy for compressor....that worked for me on the G5...must be one for intel Mac...or whatever you are running

its a special small program that u download. it had a bandaid on it...on the icon.

good luck dear. well done

Life is here to enjoy.

iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 2TB; Mac OS 10.6.8, 16 GB RAM; 2 La Cie external HDs 1 TB each; After Effects CS5.5; Sound Track Pro 3.0.1; Final Cut Pro 7.0.3; Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]