Hard Drives vs. MiniDV...Anyone?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
filmapprentice
Hard Drives vs. MiniDV...Anyone?
on Jul 11, 2007 at 4:58:08 pm

Hey everyone,

here's the question:

i'm looking into some DV cameras and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the compression method of hard drive driven cameras like the JVC G2-HD7 (on the higher end consumer level), compared to some higher end pro-sumer cams like the XL2's and the DVX100's.

i wasn't sure where to post this, so if anyone's got any info on this topic, it would be mucho appreciated. cheers!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Hard Drives vs. MiniDV...Anyone?
on Jul 12, 2007 at 4:59:42 pm

Had drives themselves don't have a "compression method." Hard drives used for recording from cameras do have feature sets which determine how the files are "wrapped."

Look at Focus Enhancements FireStore series for example. There's also CitiDisk. Sony has their own hard drive too. You'll have to seem if they wrap the file in a way that's easy/time efficient for your NLE to handle.

Return to posts index

timebombtim
Re: Hard Drives vs. MiniDV...Anyone?
on Jul 18, 2007 at 4:41:48 pm

From my understanding miniDV has a compression ratio of 4:1 and FCP as 3:1, so if you are going straight from this hard drive to FCP as data, you should have a true 3:1 compression ratio, and even better if you are using AVID. *note i'm not 100% on those ratio's but are approximate. hope this helps and it seems like the hard drive would be the way to go to me!
best

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]