FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding issues with Compressor 2.0

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miss MC
Encoding issues with Compressor 2.0
on Jul 3, 2007 at 3:39:21 am

I'm beginning to wonder if I can get a decent output from Compressor 2.0. I have 109 minutes of footage I'm trying to fit on a DVD. When I compress to 6.5-7.6 mbps VBR, 2 pass, the image is pretty bad/blocky. The same settings but 1 pass actually looks better! These data rates, however, are causing my set top player to stutter ever so slightly. When I drop down to 5-7 mbps, 2 pass the image is blocky in areas of movement.

Are these issues with my settings or with Compressor 2.0's limits? What's an affordable alternative (if that's what's necessary to get a clean image)?

thanks...

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: Encoding issues with Compressor 2.0
on Jul 3, 2007 at 7:58:15 am

What's your source format? (DV, HDV, HDCAM etc)

Return to posts index

Miss MC
on Jul 3, 2007 at 2:32:26 pm

BetaSP

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Jul 3, 2007 at 2:53:41 pm

5Mb/s VBR should certainly produce good looking results from BetaSP.

Just to make sure, have you applied any de-interlacing, cropping or scaling during the encode?

How have you captured the BetaSP source - (What setting & CODEC in FCP?) what hardware etc

Return to posts index

Miss MC
on Jul 3, 2007 at 5:43:07 pm

The BetaSP source was captured into Avid Adrenaline. I exported the sequence from the Avid by cropping from 720x486 to 720x480 and I chose lower/even field...uncompressed.

Someone in another forum suggested using CBR instead of VBR. Any thoughts? I've also been informed that the 2pass in Compressor 2.0 has a bug.

I'm sitting down with the client tomorrow, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Jul 3, 2007 at 6:07:05 pm

I'm gonna have to back off here (BetaSP to D1 to AVID DV to QuickTime MPEG-2 spells trouble to me), rest assured, you're not the only one who's pulling their hair out over this.

The one last thing I'd try is to not perform any cropping and export the clip from the Avid 'as is', see if Compressor can detect it correctly and do the right thing.

I'm sure there's somebody on this forum who's been through this - Ben?

Return to posts index

dan sollis
on Aug 27, 2007 at 1:08:26 pm

I've just tried batching a folder full of DV-PAL quicktimes into H264 and they've all come out looking really blocky. I think it's a problem with Compressor 2 - it looks like it's encoding the source using the DV codec's low-resolution playback mode.

I'll try sending a bug report to apple about this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]