FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime compressed files playing out of sync

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Goldberg
Quicktime compressed files playing out of sync
on Jul 1, 2007 at 2:10:42 pm

Hi,
I've compressed files with cleaner xl to quicktimes. (I'm using Cleaner over Squeeze because i get an error - "There was a compression error while compressing the file." Error 0x003001e - every time I try to compress to quicktime using Squeeze). The problem is that the quicktimes when played drift out of sync. Most of these files are between 1 and 3 minutes, and the drift becomes very noticeable. If I stop the quicktime and begin playing again, it starts in sync. This leads me to believe the file itself is ok, but the player somehow is drifting out of sync? Anyone come across this? BTW, I encoded the same files as wmv's as well, and they play fine. Any thoughts?

Mike

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: Quicktime compressed files playing out of sync
on Jul 2, 2007 at 7:25:33 am

What Quicktime settings are you using in cleaner. What's your source?

Return to posts index

Michael Goldberg
on Jul 2, 2007 at 8:20:14 pm

My original file was an AVI rendered with the blackmagic codec. As far as Quicktime settings in cleaner, I've use about 10 different settings. I've also gotten Squeeze to work with the same results. Here's the curveball that I've figured out today. The file plays correctly and holds sync on two different machines (workstations with fast drives). My laptop seems to be the culprit (This is a practically brand new Sony Vaio, and the drives are definitely fast enough to handle a 40mb file. Just to rule out the file size, I created a quicktime at about 400kbs, and the file was only about 9mb. This still lost sync in Quicktime. Again, the wmv's played fine even at 60 and 80mb files sizes. I checked all of the quicktime settings and preferences, and they were the same on the laptop as the workstation. I even downloaded and installed the lastest version of Quicktime, but that did not help either. It's really a weird thing.

MG

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Jul 3, 2007 at 7:56:39 am

One thiing is for sure - it's nothing to do with the size of the file, however there is a possibility that it's due the the datrate being too high.

What Quicktime CODECs have you tried (audio and video)?

Return to posts index

kirkmarple
on Aug 26, 2007 at 12:17:48 am

could it be a difference between QT versions installed on these different machines?

i've been tracking down a similar issue, and seem to have localized it to a problem in the newer QT 7.2 vs QT 7.1.6.

curious to see if that's the same issue in your case.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]