FORUMS: list search recent posts

uploading video to the web

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dotan
uploading video to the web
on Jun 17, 2007 at 7:17:20 am

What is the best codec to use in ae when you want to put a video on the web and keep a good quality?

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
Re: uploading video to the web
on Jun 17, 2007 at 1:28:36 pm

Have you done a search? This has been asked hundreds of times, and answered at least that many times. Do a search in this forum and the Compression forum. If you don't get an answer (you'll get a lot of answers) come on back and be more specific (who is your audience? do you think they're mostly PC or Mac, or split? how fast are the connections, do you want high bitrate to maintain quality, or do you need to reach a broad audience, some of whom may not have very broad bandwidth?)
Ed

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
P.S. Re: uploading video to the web
on Jun 17, 2007 at 1:29:42 pm

I meant look in this forum and the Web Streaming forum.
Ed

Return to posts index

dotan
Re: P.S. Re: uploading video to the web
on Jun 18, 2007 at 11:43:40 am

I did a search and got lots of answers but its too confusing
i want to upload my demo reel its uncompressed 640x480 that i rendered from AE
i want to have it on my web and get a good quality and small size
i red here about h.264 flash wmv and others
what i did was encode it to a windows media wmv file but i think its still big size
so what are good options to try? also i prefer that any computer can watch it but that's less important cause i guess company's should have the codecs also whats the difference between choosing streaming and progressive download?

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Jun 19, 2007 at 9:31:27 am

H.264 and WMV are roughly the same quality and efficency - if you don't know who your audience are then I'd probaly go for WMV, simply due to the number of windows machines out there.

You'll need to do alot of experimentation with data rates and frame sizes before you'll find something you're satisfied with, there is no set of magic numbers.

Streaming - quality of the video is determined by the viewers connection speed, slower connection speed means lower quality and more buffering
Progressive download - quality is determined by the content producer (you), on a slower connection it will take longer before the clip will start playing but the quality will be the same as all other connection speeds.

It's a London thing.

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Jun 20, 2007 at 4:49:52 am

Of course your most likely to reach the most people if you use Flash video. The lfash 8 codec (On2 VP6) is a great codec that delivers nice results to the largest amount of people.

----------------------------------------
Aharon Rabinowitz
arabinowitz(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
http://www.allbetsareoff.com

Click the link below to subscribe to the Creative Cow After Effects Podcast, and get free AE video tutorials:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=111087911

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Jun 20, 2007 at 6:38:54 am

Aharon,

What you say is true, however if quality is a main consideration, Flash is quite a way off the mark when compared to either WMV or H.264.

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Jun 20, 2007 at 1:15:16 pm

I guess it depends on what your compressing. Ounce for ounce, I have found that lo-motion video, like my tutorials, look much much better when compressed as flash then as WMV or H.264, and they are much smaller in file size.

Plus H.264 can overwhelm slower processors (which any format at a high enough Data rate can do, but H.264 is particularly guilty of this).

WMV - which I think looks better then H.264, at least with regard to color (and of course that's a bit subjective), is still a shot in the dark because of the whole mac thing. Most Mac users prefer to keep Bill Gate's stuff off their machines.

Plus I hate that with WMV you can't scrub through time while watching the video. In other words, the image doesn't update until you let go of the time slider. It makes it difficult for clients to navigate through your work. At least with flash you can see the keyframes as you scrub. Quicktime of course, trumps all of them with the ability to scrub and see.

Anyway, Not that I disagree with you, but from a purely readability perspective, flash is always going to be your best solution, because no matter how good the quality of your video, it can't be seen if people don't have the latest versions of those players. With Flash that;s never an issue.

Whenever I use Flash for showing work to clients, I don't receive calls about not being able to watch my videos. Can't say the same for any other format.

Aharon Rabinowitz
arabinowitz(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
http://www.allbetsareoff.com

Click the link below to subscribe to the Creative Cow After Effects Podcast, and get free AE video tutorials:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=111087911

Return to posts index

Proper Modulation
Re: uploading video to the web
on Jun 21, 2007 at 9:19:08 pm

This question wasn't vague enough.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]