FORUMS: list search recent posts

What am I missing???

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hyland
What am I missing???
on Jun 14, 2007 at 2:29:22 pm

I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm taking a small sample section of my video that has a scene with medium speed panning. When I export using compressor (settings in a minute) the image gets very staircased and jagged (blurry) until the panning stops. When I export as a quicktime self-contained movie the panning is smooth. In compressor I tried 9 or 10 different settings. I basically used DVD: Best quality, both 4:3 and 16:9 and every variation of one pass/two pass high bit rate, best motion possible. I haven't burned the dvd of all my tests yet because I just figured out how to in DVD Studio Pro but computer viewing shows the quicktime as fine and all the compressor segments of the panning sequence as jagged. What's going on? Thank you. -Ted

ps. Mac Dual G5 2.0/OS10.4.9/FCP 5.1.4/Compressor2 2.3

Return to posts index

nateboston
Re: What am I missing???
on Jun 15, 2007 at 1:10:59 pm

Have you tried going to the compressed file you made and opening it up in Quicktime? Skip over DVDSP entirely and see if the files plays in Quicktime alone. If it plays back fine, go ahead and burn it.

I know in the new versions of DVDSP the preveiw looks like crud. But when you burn it things look great. You might even try burning it once and see what kind of results you get.

Another option is to de-interlace the video before you compress it. This can easily be done in Final Cut Pro by using the de-interlace filter.

Nate

Return to posts index

hyland
on Jun 16, 2007 at 2:45:00 pm

I may have tried the de-interlace filter on one of my passes, I'll check my notes. I will burn a dvd soon and check it on all mediums. I notice that even big budget, wide screen releases have a little blurryness when panning. -Ted

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Jun 18, 2007 at 2:15:38 am

What are your source footage settings in FCP? 24P? 16:9? HD? DV? Few more details might help get to the bottom of your problem.

When you import your footage into Compressor, make sure you check the encode tab and make sure your fields are set correctly. For example, exporting DV material out of FCP is usually Lower Field first. I have seen stair stepping on footage when the fields were set wrong.

You could export out just the in/out points of your pan that are giving you a problem and bring that QuickTime into Compressor to test that the fields are set up right.

Andy

Return to posts index

hyland
on Jun 18, 2007 at 2:40:19 pm

I have burned a DVD with 8 of my test samples and it was interesting. Two of the clips looked fine and 6 of them didn't. I did try the de-interlace filter on one and that had bad results. I used many settings and as soon as I find my first sheet of notes I'll know which settings worked. (Sorry). I suspect the settings that worked are the normal ones you would expect to work with a few tweeks because it was my examples 1 & 3 that looked OK.

I imported at DV NTSC 48khz and I did experiment with higher and lower field dominance on export.

<>

Are you suggesting I export as a Quicktime movie first and than bring that into Compressor to compress for DVD?

-Ted

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]