FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD timeline to DVD with compressor Please Help!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Allen
HD timeline to DVD with compressor Please Help!
on Jun 14, 2007 at 1:49:19 pm

I have a HD program that I am attempting to distribute on SD DVD. If I take a self contained movie file to compressor it does not look acceptable. The graphics and video have far to many jagged edges. In my research I have seen where some say there is line doubling that takes place during the conversion. It was indicated (Bonsai Method) that I should move the program to a DV50 timeline for down conversion to avoid line doubling. This process did improve the quality a little, however it still leaves much to be desired. Could someone please detail the best process to atchieve the best results in compressor.

Having said that, I have been looking closely at big budget DVD's and the DVD quality is extreamly good (as it should be). I am sure they are using expensive hardware to help achieve this. What can I do to get closer to that quality with a software solution. I do have an older copy of bitvice but I am not sure how it will handle HD files. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. If you need more info. just let me know.

My HD timelines look great, my DVD's do not!

Return to posts index

Borjis
Re: HD timeline to DVD with compressor Please Help!
on Jun 15, 2007 at 2:13:03 am

I have run into this myself, I used to nest an hd sequence into an uncompressed 10-bit sd sequence and it looked ok but not great.

I have no idea why anyone would nest a high quality hd timeline into a dv one. Makes no sense as it could possibly make things look worse. you don't need a fast disk array to do this, just takes longer.

anyways, what I found works best (i would argue it looks as good as an expensive hardware down converter would) is to duplicate your sequence, go into the one you just duplicated, switch the codec to uncompressed (if it was dvcpro-hd or hdv, also delete your renders so they don't carry over) and export with quicktime conversion, in those options set it to uncompressed or prores if your on fcp 6 and designate the size as 720x480, 16x9 (for anamorphic) 4x3 if you don't want anamorphic, then take THAT exported file and use compressor on it.

I double checked the SD file on a sony pro crt and the small text that looked bad before was perfectly sharp!

This was higher quality then having compressor do the HD to SD work even with the downsize setting on best quality.

Return to posts index

Mike Allen
on Jun 15, 2007 at 1:08:18 pm

Thanks for your reply. Can you suggest compressor settings? For example, if size is not an issue (most programs are 5 min. to 30 min.) would you use CBR or VBR. Also, in your experience, what is the highest bit rate before I might run into problems (I usually max at about 8.3 mbps).

Can you make any other sugggestions in regard to compressor in order to improve quality.

Mike Allen

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Jun 15, 2007 at 4:08:17 pm

Make the GOP setting as low as it goes (6 i think)

I prefer single pass VBR with a max peak of 6.5 mbps

The audio should be .ac3 and I usually stick with 256kbps,
I think 192 and 128 are just too compressed sounding.

I know people who have experienced stuttering on their dvd players if you exceed 7mbps with DVD recordable media. of course replicated media you can get near the 10mbps maximum.

Return to posts index

Mike Allen
on Jun 15, 2007 at 5:34:07 pm

Can you clarify this:

"export with quicktime conversion, in those options set it to uncompressed or prores if your on fcp 6 and designate the size as 720x480, 16x9 (for anamorphic) 4x3 if you don't want anamorphic, then take THAT exported file and use compressor on it."

If I am using a DVC Pro Hd 16x9 timeline to start with and change setting to uncompressed and I export with Quicktime conversion by selecting:

Format - Quicktime Movie
Options - Video
Settings - uncompressed 10 bit -4:2:2
Size - I don't want to use current, so I must select Custom
for this do I put 720x405 or 720x480?
I do not see a 16x9 default.

Sorry for all the questions, I am attempting the process now and want to get it right.

Return to posts index

Mike Allen
on Jun 15, 2007 at 6:47:00 pm

Update,

Test is still jagged. Can you give tips for creating text. I try to use fonts that are condusive for video just like with SD. I am creating them at 1920 by 1080. What dpi should I use (72dpi 150dpi?) They look pretty good in the uncompressed timeline but I still can see extreamly tiny jagged edges.

I think the problem is in the downconversion. I attempted the method that you outlined without much luck. Also, when encoding, should I use open or closed GOP.

I have been a coorperate video producer/editor for over 12 years but my experience has been with SD projects. Getting HD to DVD and making it look crisp and clear is a challenge. Maybe you could recommend some good materials to read.

Thanks,

Mike Allen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]