FORUMS: list search recent posts

720p Footage compressed for Dual-Layered DVD. PLEASE HELP!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BryceLev
720p Footage compressed for Dual-Layered DVD. PLEASE HELP!
on Jun 6, 2007 at 3:27:36 pm

Hello,
I am trying to compress 2 hours of footage shot at 720p to a dual layered DVD+R. I was wanting to know if anyone else has done this before. If so, at what resolution and bitrate did you use to maintain the best quality? I understand that I need to keep the bitrate under 7, but the video I compressed at this rate still looks pretty crappy. Can I increase resolution to help with the quality?

Please, any insight would help greatly, even if you just tell me that 720p will not look good on a dual layered DVD. I just need some help :(

Thanks in advance!

~Bryce

Return to posts index

bantonj
Re: 720p Footage compressed for Dual-Layered DVD. PLEASE HELP!
on Jun 7, 2007 at 2:29:57 pm

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. This is to playback in a DVD player? Or to send to someone to play on a computer? Either way you don't have to stay under 7, for a SD DVD you can safely average 8 Mb/s, and if you are just playing back on a computer you can safely go up to 9 Mb/s and still fit on the dual-layer disc.

Josh

http://www.indiemaster.org

Return to posts index

Borjis
Re: 720p Footage compressed for Dual-Layered DVD. PLEASE HELP!
on Jun 15, 2007 at 2:17:52 am

[bantonj] "for a SD DVD you can safely average 8 Mb/s,"

That probably works 90% of the time, but I've had customers have issues with stuttering occasionally if I let it go beyond 7mbps.
If your GOP structure is low (around 6) you can stay low and it will look great. You will also have to do your audio as .ac3 since pcm takes just over 1.2mbps added to your video rate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]