FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD encoding in compressor yields poor results

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shiloh
DVD encoding in compressor yields poor results
on Jun 6, 2007 at 4:21:17 am

I have been trying to get an acceptable standard definition DVD from compressor after spending long amounts of time color correcting in final cut studio 5.1.4 with the colorista plugin (the final cut 3 way color corrector is is also very dissapointing).

After encoding to DVD 90 min best, the color shifts in a redish orange direction and the gamma or contrast changes making the blacks darker and mids brighter. To put it simply, encoding results from compressor look amateurish at best. I am a little frustrated with apple right now and I am wondering why I haven't found more people talking about this.

I am on a mac pro quad 2.66 with the ATI x1900 XT video card and 3 gigs of ram. My project is standard DV anamorphic 16:9. I have tried re-compressing the project using media manager to uncompressed 10 bit 422 and re-encoding with the same results (it looks great in the FCP timeline and in quicktime player as an exported qt movie, but crappy as a M2V file viewed in quicktime and FCP viewer or on any TV through any DVD player. I compare the the before and after video by opening them both in side by side quicktime players and also side by side FCP viewer windows.

I need my DVD to look professional, or at least good, as it is the final delivery format for this project. If anyone has any suggestions for a solution or would just like to come to apple's defense, I am all ears. I am ready to set my FCP Studio installers on fire and dance around the flames.

Shiloh from Austin, TX

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: DVD encoding in compressor yields poor results
on Jun 6, 2007 at 7:28:50 pm

If the offset is consistent you can adjust the Compressor processing filters and save them as a custom preset.

BTW if you do an encodes (in some codecs, I haven't tried them all) with exact same settings on PPC and Intel using Quicktime Pro (for example) they will look different! I believe this was reported on MacFixit and of course I've seen it myself.

Return to posts index

Shiloh
Re: DVD encoding in compressor yields poor results
on Jun 11, 2007 at 3:27:50 am

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]