FORUMS: list search recent posts

Windows Media Encoder HDV settings

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Warren M
Windows Media Encoder HDV settings
on Jun 2, 2007 at 11:28:51 am

What would be the proper settings in Windows Media Encoder to get a 1440 x 1080 HDV program to display properly? Windows web site says to set the encoder to "allow nonsquare pixel output" and maintain the the PAR of the original. I try that, but the result is vertically squished. I can change the output settings to 1920X1080, and the aspect ration is correct, but I'm getting some artifacting which may or may not be due to that extra processing. In any case, I know there is a way to do this without resting the number of pixels, because Windows HD showcase videos are 1440X1080, but display properly as 16x9.

I suspect this has been answered before, but I can't find it.

(Orginal program material shot with a Canon XH A1 at 30F, edited in Premiere Pro 2.0, and output as a Windows DV lossless .avi.)

Many thanks for the help.

Warren

Return to posts index

epontius
Re: Windows Media Encoder HDV settings
on Jun 10, 2007 at 1:10:17 am

Once you have your video source entered in to Windows Media Encoder. You need to modify the compression settings. Assuming that your AVI source file is 1920x1080 square pixels. Choose the "file destination" and the high definition preset. Click the "edit" button. On the general tab, click the "allow non-square pixel aspect output" option. Click the Kbps tab and change the video size to 1440x1080. Click OK.
Click over to the Video Size tab. The box along the right-hand size should indicate that your input source video is 1920x1080. On the left hand side will be a "pixel aspect ratio" pull down, choose "anamorphic 16x9". The information on the right-hand side should indicate aspect ratio change 1:1.
When played back Windows Media Player will recognize the pixel aspect and stretch it back out to 1920x1080. The file properties should indicate the size is 1440x1080 and Aspect ratio of 16x9.
If your source AVI was 1440x1080 1.33pa, then set things up the same way, but choose the option for "same as input" for your Pixel Aspect on the video size tab.

IMHO, WME is extremely limited as far as what your source video is. If you plan on doing this thing a lot it might be worthwhile to spend the bucks on a multi-purpose, multi-format encoder like Canopus Procoder, Sorenson, etc...

Erik

Return to posts index

Warren M
on Jun 11, 2007 at 5:57:00 pm

Thanks very much, Erik. I had misunderstood the par settings in the video size tab, and hadn't selected the correct one.

I've just obtained a copy of Sorensen Squeeze, but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Would Uncompressed MS AVI be the best output from Premiere going into Sorensen?

Return to posts index

epontius
on Jun 12, 2007 at 4:48:01 am

I would think so or a lossless codec like Huffyuv. Always try to minimize any compression prior to actually compressing your video...you've seen what happens to copies or copies on the photocopier? Same thing...the more in more successive compression that occurs the more information is thrown out and the less quality you have.

Erik

Return to posts index

Dima Ko
on Jul 24, 2009 at 5:56:47 am

Hello!
HDV from camcorders is 50i. Should anybody choose to retain the interlacing? Does WMP use Bob deinterlacing to playback an interlaced 50i wmv? Panning looks much smoother in 50i (deinterlaced by BOB during playback) than in 25p.
How to make Windows Media Encoder x64 read HDV? Windows Media Encoder x64 writes that it cannot read the file.
Regards,
Dima

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]