FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD video encoding for SD DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cutter_Jones
HD video encoding for SD DVD
on May 3, 2007 at 2:47:30 pm

Our company produced a video in native DVCPRO HD. Post production was done in HD. We eventually need to create standard definition DVDs of the video. What is the best workflow to create compressed files that will retain the best quality for use in DVDSP?

Our current plan is to down convert to standard definition via our AJA card on the FCP edit system and create a D1 master tape (uncompressed SD). Then we will issue that D1 master to a business that has a hardware based encoder (Sonic SD 2000 or Spruce) to create m2v and ac3 files.

Any suggestions as to how our workflow should be altered to retain the highest quality as we downconvert a HD video for use on a SD DVD?

Return to posts index

bantonj
Re: HD video encoding for SD DVD
on May 7, 2007 at 2:17:39 am

This workflow sounds fine. My only recommendations are that you make sure to make an anamorphic D1 and that if your material is 23.98 to use standard 3:2, not Advanced because a lot of hardware encoders do not support it.

Josh
http://www.indiemaster.org

Return to posts index

Cutter_Jones
Re: HD video encoding for SD DVD
on May 9, 2007 at 11:00:53 pm

bantonj, Our footage is anamorphic 16x9 NTSC on the D1 tape.

We followed through with our workflow described above and have encountered an odd issue. It seems that our software-based encodes (Apple Compressor) have more detail than the final encodes received from the hardware-based encoder--the hardware encodes appear softer with some slight distortion in areas.

I thought the hardware based encodes should have better quality. Any ideas why our m2v files created in Compressor have more detail than those files created via the hardware encoder? I spoke with the engineer at the post production facility and he stated that their Spruce hardware encoder should create top of the line results.

We used the preset 'best quality 90 min DVD' in Compressor.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]