FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you use a 66 MB file on a website ?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BW
Can you use a 66 MB file on a website ?
by
on Apr 17, 2007 at 10:15:03 pm

I've got this 18 minute TV show I want to encode for a website. When I break it down in to two separate QT files at 120x90 pixel format ... I'm ending up with two 66 MB files using H264 codec. Is this file size ridiculous to put on a website, or is it OK ? Thanks BW

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: Can you use a 66 MB file on a website ?
on Apr 18, 2007 at 9:56:39 am

It's fine to put media file much bigger than that on a website - Apple does it all the time on their Quicktime trailers pages.

That said I couldn't expect anybody to watch more that a few seconds of video at 120x90, it's cruel!

You should really be looking at working on your encoding settings, I'm currently doing very good looking encodes at 480x360, 25fps using H.264 at data rates of between 500-700kb/s - 18mins at those data rates will bring your total file size down to under 100MB

Return to posts index

BW
by
on Apr 18, 2007 at 2:36:02 pm

Hi Danny ,

Yes thanks, I played around with my settings .. and realized it was the Audio files creating the large file sizes. Once I switched over to AAC audio, those 66 MB files went down to 9 MB !

Return to posts index

Peterd
on May 3, 2007 at 2:46:49 pm

I'd be wary of only including an h.264 version on a website. Not all Windows machines will have the neccessary codec installed to play it.

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on May 3, 2007 at 4:03:49 pm

That's the same for any format, player or codec (except maybe Flash); not all the viewers to your site will have the necessary technology to view the clip. That said it maybe nice to include a WMV or Flash version for those Windows users who have a 'locked-down' PC or others who are somewhat behind the times!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]