FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems converting bitrates...

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ripvanmarlowe
Problems converting bitrates...
on Apr 10, 2007 at 9:20:01 pm

Hi everyone, I head up a small digital media department at a London post house (by small, i mean, me!). We're using DVD Studio Pro 4 on a PowerMac G4 to build our DVD's and we have Sorenson Squeeze running on a PC. Recently i've had a couple of clients bring in files (on DVD) from which they want DVD's built (for example; m2v and aiff files that they want building into a menued DVD or just DVD's featuring clips they want ripping and re-building into something different etc). The problem i've been finding is that the source material has been encoded with a bit rate too high for DVD Studio Pro 4 to build from (typically around 8.5 mbps). I've been struggling to find a way to lower the bit rates so that they will be accepted by DVD Studio Pro and was wondering if anyone knows of any good programs (free or otherwise) that can do the job in as few steps as possible. I know Studio Pro should encode when it takes material in but because the files are often already in the right format it doesn't transcode them. We thought Sorenson squeeze should do the trick but the Mac seems to reject it's files all the time, even quicktimes? I know there must be a simple answer or solution to this, maybe i'm overlooking something, but the only way we've got satisfactory results so far is to recapture the original material from master tapes and set a lower bit rate through the capture card tool (Media PressX) (not ideal if the client keeps the master tapes miles away or has lost them - as happened today!) or to export the mpegs to quicktime then import the quicktime into DVD Studio Pro and then let it transcode. Surely there is a way to just take the file you want to lower the bitrate of, pass it through a program and have it come out the other side, the same file type but with a lower bitrate? This is what i'd like to find out, so if anyone can help me with this problem it would really be appreciated. Apologies if it's obvious but I've just been thrown into the job and i couldn't find anything specific whilst searching through the forums. Hope someone can help, thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Problems converting bitrates...
on Apr 11, 2007 at 12:21:34 am

Try MPEG Streamclip (squared5.com). It is a good place to start.

Rich Rubasch
tilt media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]