FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is up w/Squeeze, wmv, and Mac?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JeremyG
What is up w/Squeeze, wmv, and Mac?
on Apr 5, 2007 at 8:31:27 pm

I don't know if this is a Flip4mac thing or what.

i am running the latest version of Squeeze (4.5.500.1) and the latest version on Flip4Mac (2.1.0.33) and everytime I compress a movie with wmv, I get this green cast on the footage that starts over on every cut/scene change.

For example. Movie starts and looks fine, as that shot continues, the whites get more green and more green, cut, then the movie looks fine and then gets more green and more green until the next cut.

Has anyone seen this before or am I nuts?

Other compressions look sweet out of Squeeze, it's just wmv.

Running os 10.4.8, MacBook Pro and G5 PPC, QT 7.1.3

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: What is up w/Squeeze, wmv, and Mac?
on Apr 5, 2007 at 10:07:08 pm

Yup it's a real bug.
The bug is only with 2 Pass VBR. It's affected by "natural" key frames. In other words, the more frames you get away from the edit point the worse it'll look. Lots of fast edits and you may not see it. A long take and it'll get very green.

Short term workaround: Avoid 2 Pass VBR. 2 Pass CBR should look fine. Ultimate solution: Flip4Mac is working on the fix.

I'm beta testing (I beta test both Sorenson Squeeze and Flip4Mac) and Flip4Mac should improve this in the next release in the near future.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 5, 2007 at 10:21:29 pm

Great news! I'm not nuts after all! Thanks oh so much for that bit of info. You just saved me some trouble.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 5, 2007 at 10:30:12 pm

Another thing, when i go to put a crop filter on, the original 'instance' of the video is somehow stuck on top of whatever I am trying to do underneath it. In order to get the crop window to show up, i have to tear off the player window and work from there. When I reconnect the player window to the settings timeline, the original instance of the video is still stuck hovering above my settings. Is this a display bug?

WHy do I always have to find the bugs?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: What is up w/Squeeze Crop Filter on Mac
on Apr 5, 2007 at 10:46:51 pm

When you drop the Generic Filter on you should see a yellow box on the video with 8 on top, 16 on the bottom, 12 on the left, and 16 on the right. You should still see the video outside that area but it would look a little darker. This works fine for me.

I'm not sure what you mean "on top of" or "underneath."

Can you post a link to a screen grab?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 5, 2007 at 10:50:07 pm

Yeah, I knew that might throw you, it's hard to explain. I'll take a screen shot and figure out the code to post it here.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 5, 2007 at 11:01:46 pm

Okay here's the pic:

See how the one instance of the video is stuck up on the top? I have torn off the player window and that image remains, when I first put on a crop filter that image remains on top of the area I am going to crop. It is not until I tear off the player window and move it, that I can see the crop filter.

Make sense? If not I can try and do a better job of explaining.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 5, 2007 at 11:37:47 pm

I see what you mean. That doesn't happen on my system.

Looks like a screen draw issue. Close Squeeze. Toss the Squeeze Preferences in the trash.
search for
com.SorensonMedia.Squeeze 4.plist
and
com.sorenson.Squeeze.plist
and toss all instances.

Open Squeeze again and see if the issue is still there.

Return to posts index

Liliya
on May 29, 2007 at 8:07:01 pm

The last two updates for Flip4Mac have claimed to fix this, but I just installed Flip4Mac 2.1.2 and I'm still getting the green cast. Are the Telestream folks still working on this one?

thanks
Liliya

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 29, 2007 at 9:23:00 pm

Set your KeyFrame rate to every 1 second. That works in 2.1.2

They're still working on improviing it so keyframe rate won't have impact on color shift at all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]