FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding Profile Specs - on My Mac?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Analog Chad
Encoding Profile Specs - on My Mac?
on Mar 29, 2007 at 8:34:33 pm

Hello Everyone,

We are working on a video back catalog digitizing project. The final video specs were decided upon by our U.S. counterparts, so I "HAVE TO" follow these specs exactly. They have invested in a StreamZ encoding system to convert our betas into this :

MPEG2 4:2:2
720x512 frame (VBI retained)
Full frame rate (29.97 fps)
Interlaced (assuming the digibeta tape is interlaced)
25 Mbps video bitrate
Audio: MPEG1 Layer 2, 384 Kbps, 48 Khz

Here is Canada - we don't have quite as much video to back catalog. Does anyone know if these specs could be met using Final Cut Pro and my Kona LH system? Would I be able to add software like Episode Pro etc. to convert uncompressed 10-bit video into this format? We're basically just trying to save cash - even at the expense of the process taking longer.

Much Much thanks,
chad.

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: Encoding Profile Specs - on My Mac?
on Mar 30, 2007 at 11:30:14 am

DigiBeta is 8bit, 4:2:2 @ 2:1 compression. Capturing that at 10bit uncompressed is a waste of space and processing.

On the encoding side I'm not sure either Compressor or Episode (or Digigami) can output 25Mb/s MPEG-2 at 4:2:2. - This is generally only available on hardware encoders.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 30, 2007 at 1:10:48 pm

[Danny2007] "On the encoding side I'm not sure either Compressor or Episode (or Digigami) can output 25Mb/s MPEG-2 at 4:2:2. - This is generally only available on hardware encoders."

Episode can certainly do MPEG-2 Program streams at 25Mb/s 4:2:2

Return to posts index

Analog Chad
on Mar 30, 2007 at 1:21:18 pm

Thanks for your help and quick responses, Danny and Craig.

I'm also not familiar with the frame size - although I'm sure it doesn't matter that I understand it. Could you fill me on what VBI retained means?
As far as the audio goes - these encoding apps could handle that as well then? And I'd end up with a file containing both video and audio?

I'll have to see if I can get the Episode Pro demo installed for a second time - it expired and I never had the chance to try it out properly....

cheers,
chad.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 30, 2007 at 1:47:01 pm

[Analog Chad] "Could you fill me on what VBI retained means?"

VBI is Vertical Blanking Interval.

NTSC is 525 lines including the VBI but that's not to be confused with pixels.

In the vertical interval there can be Vertical Interval Time Code (VITC) and Closed Captioning so they may be trying to preserve that information.

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Mar 30, 2007 at 1:58:50 pm

VBI = Vertical Blanking Interval. An area that can hold teletext, VITC timecode and closed captioning.

Again, I'm not sure if Episode will retain this, or indeed if it's even 'captured' by the Kona card. Craig?

Audio - yes, no problem, ending up with either a muxed file or seperate audio and video files.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 30, 2007 at 2:08:05 pm

If you (Danny) or Chad are willing to FTP (I'll provide the FTP space) 30 or 60 seconds or so of a file as 8 or 10 bit uncompressed with VITC or CC info, I'll give this a go around.

Return to posts index

Analog Chad
on Mar 30, 2007 at 2:24:44 pm

Oh man, that would be most excellent. As was mentioned, we weren't sure if my Kona could capture VITC - but I'd be happy to provide a test file....coming up...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 30, 2007 at 2:42:56 pm

If you send me your email address I'll send you FTP info.

Return to posts index

Analog Chad
on Mar 30, 2007 at 3:09:26 pm

chad dott mitchell att sonybmg dott com

should do the trick. c.

Return to posts index

danny2007
on Mar 30, 2007 at 4:16:35 pm

This is a great example of how these forums can work!

Return to posts index

Analog Chad
on Mar 30, 2007 at 5:28:40 pm

Dude,

I've been visiting here forever, but never really posted until recently. This is absolutely fantastic. A huge help, guys! (file uploading now)

cheers.

Return to posts index

Analog Chad
on Apr 3, 2007 at 7:48:34 pm

Thanks again to Craig for his help - that's totally cool of you to help me out like that. File is sent to our head office for "analysis". We'll see what they say!

cheers,
chad.

Return to posts index

juanpipito
So, can it be done?
on Apr 11, 2007 at 1:50:41 pm

so was it possible to capture the vertical blanking interval with the kona card? I am in the same situation, trying to figure out how. would trully appreciate any response.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: So, can it be done?
on Apr 11, 2007 at 2:08:09 pm

I can't speak specifically to the Kona card since I don't have one but the source I tested from Analog Chad, who has a Kona card, had Vertical Interval information in it and I was able to do an encode with Episode Pro and the encode retained that information (at least by eye).

Return to posts index

Analog Chad
on Apr 11, 2007 at 2:46:58 pm

I did use the Kona LH for the capture. Like Craig said, it appears to be there visually, waiting to hear back for further confirmation from our U.S. counterparts....

c.

Return to posts index

juanpipito
on Apr 11, 2007 at 3:50:29 pm

all 32 lines? may I ask what settings you used? did you come in analog or sdi? I would trully appreciate any info on the matter, thanks once again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]