FORUMS: list search recent posts

Favourite Compression Software?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thommo
Favourite Compression Software?
on Mar 21, 2007 at 12:45:11 am

Hi guys. If you had to name one product that is fairly stable and does a pretty good job all-round for video compression - what would it be? I've got Apple Compressor, but it's still a bit 'user friendly' and doesn't do WMV files... I've got the ol' Cleaner 5 from the old days which was great and i still use it quite a bit, but naturally it does not know alot of the newer codecs and it's running in classic - Eep... Whateya say!? Got a favourite? I'm running OSX. Cheers and beers. Thommo.

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: Favourite Compression Software?
on Mar 21, 2007 at 11:57:16 am

Episode http://www.flip4mac.com/episode.htm

On the Mac, there is no contest.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 21, 2007 at 2:38:31 pm

Why not get the cleaner 6.5 upgrade ($99 I think) which will give you the same familiar interface with the FLV encoder and all the rest. It pretty much does everything I need except for WMV (I do those on a PC) and MPEG-2 (I still use cmpressor for MPEG-2 exclusively). I also have MPEG-Streamclip for doing transcodes for the PC and other valuable uses.

So I have a compressor-cleaner-mpeg streamclip workflow.

Also see the post a few threads ago about the need for a robust stand alone encoder....add your wants to the list!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Mar 21, 2007 at 4:36:11 pm

Rich, with all due respect, and as much as I love cleaner, Thommo did express and interest in WMV encoding and he gives the impression that he's only using a Mac.

Like I said, with Episode, there's no contest.

Return to posts index

Thommo
Episode? Any other favourites on a Mac?
on Mar 21, 2007 at 9:17:28 pm

Thanks a lot guys - i am pretty interested in Episode - i've been testing it for a few days - it seems pretty good alright. I'll also look into the Cleaner thing. Cheers, Thommo.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Episode? Any other favourites on a Mac?
on Mar 21, 2007 at 11:26:47 pm

On the Episode Pro page it doesn't really brag about its WMV encoding and I'll stand up the Windows Media Encoder against any other WMV encoder for quality. I wonder if the Episode packages bundle in the same WMV engine that is in the Flip4Mac products (I'm not so impressed....great for quickie WMVs but not for really nice looking full screen encodes).

Again the Pro version is $995 or $495. The cleaner upgrade is $99, and the Flip4Mac is about $200.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

danny2007
on Mar 22, 2007 at 12:21:51 am

When it comes to Windows Media support on the Mac platform, nobody has got anything to brag about.

The fact that Episode supports VC-1 output on the Mac platform is something for the company to be proud of, as nobody else comes close, along with the fact that Microsoft has dropped all development of Windows Media Player for the Mac and recommends, infact links to, Flip4Mac as the alternative.

Sure, one could boot into Windows using Bootcamp and fire up WME, but most embarrising for that encoder is that you need to delve into the registry or use an unsupported 'Powertoy' to access the advanced encoding features. Other than that it

Return to posts index

Thommo
on Mar 22, 2007 at 12:54:15 am

Thanks Danny - that does give me more faith in the product - i have just this morning been going through the "let's just use a PC for encoding WMV" scenario - and i'd really prefer to stay clear of that whole scene i think. Have you used Cleaner 6.5? How does it compare to Episode in your opinion? (As for the retrospective, i still remember our first Apple 2e - noyce) Rockety Rock. Thommo.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]