FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating RM files on a Mac Pro

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ric shellhammer
Creating RM files on a Mac Pro
on Mar 6, 2007 at 7:13:14 pm

I have one client that requests Real Media files and I'm trying to accommodate them as the technology moves forward. Originally we edited on FCP and used the RM plug-in, but as there is no support for OS 10.4, we later had two partitions: one with 10.4 and one with 10.3.x.

Here was the workflow:
1) Edit, then create reference files
2) Reboot in OS 10.3.9
3) Open reference files in QT and export movie as rm file.

So now we've moved on to a MacPro and looking for a Real Media encoding solution, hopefully without building a separate workstation. Earlier in this forum there was a good discussion on creating .WMV files using Parallels. Could this also work with the free Real Media Encoder? If so, what I'm not sure about is what kind of file you'd export out of FCP that would hold up to the transcode to Real Media. In other words, what would be the workflow in that setup?

Thanks,

ric shellhammer

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Creating RM files on a Mac Pro
on Mar 7, 2007 at 12:35:00 am

Here's what I do to get clips to the PC. Export a Ref clip from FCP. Open that clip in MPEGStream clip on the Mac. (latest version). Export an AVI and choose Apple PhotoJPEG at 75% quality and make sure your audio is uncompressed. Also don't scale and be sure it's set for lower field. You must have Quicktime installed on the PC side for this clip to be readable.

Launch windows. Open the AVI into the encoder. I know this works for Windows Media encoding, not sure, but assume that the Real encoder can accept an AVI, and as long as Quicktime is installed it can read the PhotoJPEG compressor.

I use the PhotoJPEG compressor so that I don't hit the 2 gig file size limit on AVIs.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

ric shellhammer
on Mar 7, 2007 at 3:01:31 am

Thanks Rich. We'll try that.

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Mar 14, 2007 at 4:36:24 am

Or you could use ProCoder or Squeeze, which can read your .mov directly (including reference movies), and encode straight from there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]