FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mpeg1 encoding with Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BrianT
Mpeg1 encoding with Compressor
on Mar 1, 2007 at 10:33:36 pm

I'm trying to encode a QT 8bit uncompressed video file for a web download company. They ask for Windows Media or Mpeg1. The video will be downloaded by the customer and played back on their presentation computers. THey ask that the video be 640x480 aspect.

1. It does not appear that Compressor will let you change the aspect ratio - defaults to 320x240
2. What are the optimal settings?
3. PLAYBACK - When I play back a mpeg file on my macG5 Dual 2.7 (video that I've exported using Compressor), it catches and pauses intermittently as if it is a read issue. However, the media is right on my system drive, or my SATA internal drive. Any thoughts?

The Visual Rabbi

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Mpeg1 encoding with Compressor
on Mar 2, 2007 at 2:18:45 am

Compressor does not allow for MPEG-1 movies larger than 320 x 240. Cleaner does.

If your clients will play off a Windows computer then encoding the clip on a PC to a Windows Media clip is the best option here. Only a Windows Media clip at 640 x 480 will look good if encoded on a PC. Flip4Mac can do smaller Windows Media clips but at 640 x 480 only the free Microsoft encoder does the job very well.

And although cleaner allows for larger MPEG-1 clips they are still 1 field and wont look as good as a Windows Media clip.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]