FORUMS: list search recent posts

Episode help for DG Fast Channel encoding

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DakotaCurt
Episode help for DG Fast Channel encoding
on Feb 25, 2007 at 5:13:17 pm

I'm having trouble getting DG Fast Channel to accept my MPEG-PS encodes with Episode. I'm encoding from Final Cut Uncompressed files of 30 second TV commercials. Does anyone have Episode settings they use for DG uploads? I've tried numerous variations with no luck.

Thank you,
Curt Friesen
Dakota Video & Post Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Episode help for DG Fast Channel encoding
on Feb 26, 2007 at 3:51:10 pm

Hi Curt,
I passed DG Fastchannel certification using Episode 4.1.x and have succesfully distriputed broadcast spots through them. Episode is now up to 4.2.2 and some setting options have changed slightly but if you give me a bit I can post back some details to help you.

Can you post details such as version of Episode and any information DG Fastchannel gave you for the failures.

I do have a preset I used under Episode 4.1.x that passed their certification.

Return to posts index

DakotaCurt
on Feb 27, 2007 at 12:16:43 am

I'm using version 4.2.2 on MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz w/ 2 GB RAM on OS 10.4.8. DG emailed me a settings file from a client who has had success encoding, uploading and delivering files, but when I use these preferred settings to encode one of my files (uncompressed 8-bit from Final Cut w/Kona LHe), the result ends up with severe compression tiles/pixilation. The preferred file includes settings of: Bitrate-based, CBR, Average rate of 25,000 kbits/s, closed gop, gop format of IBBPBB, interlaced, 2-Pass, and I crop the bottom 6 lines. I've not uploaded one of these files because the quality is so poor. I have noticed if I change the gop format to I-frames only, the result looks very good, but the uploaded file prompts an email message from DG that the file, "contains a file format not supported by DG Systems or the file is corrupt". Any ideas that might work?

Thanks,

Curt Friesen
Dakota Video & Post Productions, LLC
curtis@dakotavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 27, 2007 at 2:05:10 am

My experience is that Quicktime will show the artifacts you mention but they will actually be fine. Follow their recommended GOP structure. The settings you're using look similar to mine. Send them the file and have them look at it. I wouldn't be surprised if the settings they've sent to you is the one I sent to them.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 27, 2007 at 12:48:05 am

Curt,

Any word on why DGFastchannel says your failing certification?

Some important details are that they want Field Order - Top First (even for standard def).
Pixel aspect ratio should be 1:1 to keep the .9 pixel size rather than make square.
GOP format should be IBBPBB
I do 2 Pass CBR encode at 25000kbps for max quality (which is their peak spec) but will accept as low as 10000kbps. If you do VBR encode your peaks may be too high.
In your NLE you should conservatively hold the luma to 100ire or equivalent. I don't remember the chorma spec but it also is very conservative. Think PBS standards. If you've ever done broadcast work for PBS you'll know what that means (very conservative).
Also think analog audio instead of digital. It seems that if you let peaks go above 0 on your digital scale they'll reject it. Normally when I do spot work I push to as close to +6 digital can compress/limit to keep things hot. That's not acceptible to DGFastchannel.

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Mar 2, 2007 at 1:02:25 am

Hi Craig-

Are you using Final Cut Pro? If so, what settings do you use in Episode to reverse the field order? FCP is lower field first and DG wants upper field first. Inside Episode there are two places you can change the field order...in the Profile tab and by adding a Field Order filter. I've tried a couple of different combinations with these settings and my files are still getting rejected by DG, and the techs tell me it's a field order problem.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Joe Murray

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 2, 2007 at 1:32:08 am

In the Profile tab - Field Order: Top First.
Alsmo make sure you have Frame Type set to Interlaced.

My settings which they may be distributing as a preset since I sent it to DGFastchannel.
Code type Bitrate-Based
Bitrate control CBR
Average rate 25000kbit/s
Pixel aspect ratio 1:1
Frame Type Interlaced
Field Order Top First
GOP type Closed Gop
GOP format IBBPBB
Encoder Settings 2-Pass

I did first use these settings with Episode 4.1.2 when I passed their certification.
I haven't retested with Episode 4.2.2

You should ask them what they're seeing. They may not give you a technical description but I may be able to translate colloquial English to "Techenese"

Make sure they're ok with Luma and Chroma peaks as well as Black level (set-up) and audio peaks. These are other non Episode reasons for DGFastchannel rejection.

Make sure you send them very clean material for the tests. Avoid slow mos, black and white video fx and other color fx.

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Mar 2, 2007 at 2:22:12 pm

Does your material start out as lower field first or upper?

This material is very clean, it originated on 35mm film and has been color corrected on a Philips Spirit telecine, and there are no effects. It's one of the nicest looking spots I've done and all the levels are in spec. At this point I'm not even getting past the automated "Ingest Failure" message, the rejection has something to do with the file format or fields. I'm sure we'll move on to audio and video levels if I can get a file to ingest into their system properly.

Here is the description they gave of the error message when I asked for more detail:

"This file showed 2 errors:
eof on input file (Typically no SEQUENCE_END_CODE found)
File does not contain interlaced frames."

Thanks for your help-

Joe Murray

Return to posts index

DakotaCurt
on Mar 2, 2007 at 3:09:32 pm

Joe and Craig,

I've uploaded a variety of Episode encoded spots to my drop box, only to have them rejected. When the DG Tech guys look at the spots they say the spots look fine and don't understand why they're getting rejected. Yesterday one of the Techs suggested I try the demo version of the Main Concepts encoder. I did and it worked. I'm mostly concerned about finding a method that works. I don't know what this means for Episode, but I'm planning to talk with the rep who initially helped me buy Episode.

I'm using Episode 4.2.2 on uncompressed Final Cut generated QuickTimes. If you're interested, here's a link to Main Concepts: http://www.mainconcept.com/site/?id=761

Thanks for your ongoing help,

Curt Friesen
Dakota Video & Post

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Mar 2, 2007 at 3:18:23 pm

I've tried Mainconcept before, and the mpegs were good quality but the gamma levels were incorrect, and last time I checked there was no way to adjust levels in Mainconcept. This is key because DG does not require bars and tone at the head of each clip, so the levels need to be dead on from the start. Has Mainconcept added handles to adjust gamma/contrast/saturation/brightness? Their support group once emailed me and said they had plans to do so, so if they have that's great.

Joe Murray

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 2, 2007 at 3:29:49 pm

What settings are you using?
What is your source video?
Did you look at the settings I've posted and test them with all the other processing filters off?
Of course the exact settings may very much depend on your source.

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Mar 2, 2007 at 3:50:12 pm

>>>What settings are you using?
My license of Mainconcept is on the PC and is at least a year old, so I have not tested it recently.

What is your source video?
10 bit uncompressed Quicktime

Did you look at the settings I've posted and test them with all the other processing filters off?
Have not done any tests with Mainconcept because I'm trying to get my investment in Episode to pay off first. Also if Mainconcept still has no adjustments for video levels, and I'm sending a file without bars and tone I don't really see the point, at least in terms of QC. But if I can't get Episode working I'll try Mainconcept again.

Joe Murray

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 7, 2007 at 11:09:56 pm

Hi Joe & Curt,

Using the source material, my Profile settings and my Resize Filter settings in Episode Pro 4.2.2, DG FastChannel passed it.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 2, 2007 at 3:27:22 pm

[Joe Murray] "Does your material start out as lower field first or upper?"

My material was SD lower Field First. Episode converted it to upper field without issue for my DGFastchannel Tests.

[Joe Murray] "This material is very clean, it originated on 35mm film"

But what was it converted to and how? Was it 23.98p or embedded in 29.97 or . . .?

I can email you my preset that passed DGFastchannel but if you're getting an "interlaced frames" issue It have have something to do with your source vs. your settings.

If you can put your spot on an FTP site I can do some conversions and get them back to you to send to DG for testing. Basically I'd try different ways to get an interlaced result but it may involved some experimentation.

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Mar 2, 2007 at 3:41:12 pm

Typical 29.97 output from telecine, with footage shot at 24 on film. I've been testing with a settings file from Episode Pro that was sent to me by DG - they said it was a settings file one of their customers is using with success, so that may be your settings file already but I'll be glad to try yours if you're willing to email it to me. joe at editatjoes dot com is the address. Only the first "at" is a symbol.

I do have a fast ftp I can post a file to if you'd like to take a run at it, but the uncompressed file is just over a gigabyte. Do you have time to deal with this? I really appreciate the offer to help.

I'll go ahead and post the file here just in case-

http://clients.editatjoes.com/dg/

filename: GPIM3906

Thanks very much-

Joe Murray

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 7, 2007 at 11:09:19 pm

Hi Joe & Curt,

Using the source material, my Profile settings and my Resize Filter settings, DG FastChannel passed it.

Return to posts index

Fred Connors Jr
on Mar 26, 2007 at 3:45:50 pm

Craig S.

What Resizing are you doing other than Cropping three lines off of the top and bottom?

How are you setting the Setup Level to 7.5 IRE?

Thanks

Fred

The Troupe - Modern Media Design & Production

Return to posts index

Bud Kalbaugh
on Apr 28, 2008 at 8:54:12 pm

I am trying to create an mpeg2 file out of a quicktime. I have been trying in vane for some time. Please help. I just put a 32 mb quicktime file in Episode 4.2.2 and used the settings that were suggested here and ended up with a 5 mb mpeg2 file. Please help! I am trying to take a quicktime file and transfer it for use on DGFastchannel.

Bud Kalbaugh
Kroger KTV

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Oct 8, 2007 at 6:27:38 pm

Craig:

I'm looking for presets to either the Main Concepts or Episode encoder to pass the danged DG DropBox test. Editing in a Mac Avid MC w/Mojo SDI, coming out 1:1 OMF. Any thoughts? Possible to e me those presets?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 8, 2007 at 7:57:32 pm

DG has changed a couple of things so I haven't tested with revised preset but I've passed their DropBox test before. I can email you a preset to test though. Give me your email and I'll send it to you ASAP.

I edit with FCP these days though. Make sure your audio and video levels are to spec before encoding.

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Oct 8, 2007 at 11:18:06 pm

it's billnelson@nelsonmedia.com

It's not the levels that DG's griping about. The Main Concepts files I send are really crappy to see! The Avid outputs a 720x486 signal, so that's where things start to fall apart. They've asked me to export the MPEG-2-compliant size, but I'm pretty sure I can crop top and bottom (like in BitVice). Thanks for your kind assistance.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 8, 2007 at 11:53:34 pm

Bill, I emailed you settings that are a mod of what I used last year to pass DG DropBox. They changed some things so I haven't tested the mod but if you email back their comments if it fails I can work with you on this.

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Oct 10, 2007 at 12:14:11 am

just sent a test using your settings this evening. We'll see how we do!

Return to posts index

Carl Varney
on Jan 10, 2008 at 4:27:16 pm

Mr. Seeman,

You seem to be about the only person I've found who has successfully uploaded files to DGFastchannel. I have been going through this nightmare for the last week, myself. I am using Final Cut Pro Studio 2 and Episode 4.2.2. Though I did persuade one of the Fastchannel dropbox support techs to review the Episode settings with me step by step, my video continues to be "pixelated".

I am trying some new tests using settings derived from your postings here... While I await those results, my questions to you are:

1. Were you able to successfully update your Episode 4.1 settings to Episode 4.2.2 and pass Fastchannel certification?

2. If I'm interpreting the posts in this forum correctly, it would seem that Fastchannel USED to accept video at 720x480. Now, the only acceptable size is 720x512! To my mind, this would certainly account for a lot of potential weirdness in the final file. Have you successfully encoded video at that size and passed certification using Episode?

If you could share any additional info on this topic, you would be my hero and I'll recommend that DGFastchannel put you on retainer (since none of their techs seem able to solve my problems)

Thanks

Carl Varney
Image Associates

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 10, 2008 at 5:49:35 pm

[Carl Varney] "1. Were you able to successfully update your Episode 4.1 settings to Episode 4.2.2 and pass Fastchannel certification? "

Yes, but you should be on Episode 4.4.1 now.

[Carl Varney] ". If I'm interpreting the posts in this forum correctly, it would seem that Fastchannel USED to accept video at 720x480. Now, the only acceptable size is 720x512! To my mind, this would certainly account for a lot of potential weirdness in the final file. Have you successfully encoded video at that size and passed certification using Episode? "

Yes they used to accept 720x480. They now want 720x512. I thought "padding out" letter box would work . . . easy to do in Episode . . . but NO, they want the black to be on the top only (vertical interval blanking of sorts).

I'm going to test a work around but it may be a bit awkward.

Return to posts index

Carl Varney
on Jan 10, 2008 at 4:33:50 pm

I made a mistake in my last message. I am using Episode 4.4.1.
Sorry for the error.

Carl Varney
Image Associates

Return to posts index

Christian McIlwain
on Jan 10, 2008 at 5:18:06 pm

I'm having the exact same problem as Mr. Varney. I just purchased episode yesterday, trying to get up to speed with DG.

I'm not getting as far as Carl, though. I'm using the setting described above. But it seems that something I'm doing is blowing everything up. When I encode from a preset, everything's fine. But when I initiate the settings above, my encode comes out as just a white screen. Audio is fine. Video is a polar bear in a blizzard. Any thoughts? I'm not even sure which preset I should be starting with? 7mbit? I-Frames?

Return to posts index

Carl Varney
on Jan 10, 2008 at 5:42:14 pm

Mr. McIlwain,

This is something I may be able to help you with.

Are you opening the mpg files in Quicktime Player? I think I had the same white screen when I did that the first time. I haven't tried using the QT MPEG Playback component, though. It's possible it could solve the problem.

Try opening the files with VLC. Mine display fine there. But I will warn you that even if they look great in VLC, it's no guarantee that they will pass certifcation on Fastchannel. As one tech told me, "VLC and others are far more forgiving than our hardware".

Carl Varney
Image Associates

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 10, 2008 at 5:53:23 pm

Quicktime does not like MPEG2 Program streams. VLC does. Good playback in VLC doesn't ensure DG certification but at least you can see what your compression looks like.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 10, 2008 at 5:57:33 pm

I had settings that worked when DG used 720x480 and distributed them to many people. If they are allowing you to use 720x480, I can get you those settings. If they require you to deliver at 720x512, you're going to bump into a few issues. I'm experimenting with that.

Return to posts index

Christian McIlwain
on Jan 10, 2008 at 6:01:15 pm

Thanks for the tip on QT.

DGFC is requiring 720x512.

Which preset are you using as your starting point?

Return to posts index

Christian McIlwain
on Jan 10, 2008 at 6:08:01 pm

VLC did solve my white screen problem. Thanks for your help. The strange thing is that QT played my files just fine if I compressed from a preset, without changing any settings. Change anything, though, and I got the white screen.

Return to posts index

Carl Varney
on Jan 10, 2008 at 8:04:19 pm

Well, Craig,
Simon from DGF just called me. He had told me he was going to consult with his Episode guru on my behalf, and it turns out that you are he. I guess I was right when I pegged you for being THE guy who knows how to do this.

I eagerly await the results of your latest test.

Thanks very much.

Carl Varney
Image Associates

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Episode DG Fast Channel Patch success
on Jan 18, 2008 at 8:12:57 pm

I tested Telestream/Flip4Mac Episode DG Fastchannel Patch with both 720x480 and 720x486 source and both passed. With 720x486 source one must crop the top 6 lines with the Resize Filter. In both cases the resultant encode is 720x512.

Telestream has given me the green light to distribute.

If you would like the patch post your email and I'll send it with instructions to install.

Return to posts index

Carl Varney
Re: Episode DG Fast Channel Patch success
on Jan 18, 2008 at 8:15:41 pm

You are THE MAN!

Yes, please send me the patch at carlvarney@imageassociatesllc.com

And thank you for your hard work on this.

Carl Varney
Image Associates

Return to posts index

Larry Cedrone
on Feb 4, 2008 at 6:38:29 pm

Oh man, I've been going around in circles trying to figure out how to make this work. I should have come on these forums all along. I'd be extremely grateful if you could send those settings to me as well!

Many Thanks,
Larry
lcedrone@vervebd.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 4, 2008 at 6:56:02 pm

Actually the best place to check would be the Telestream Episode Forum right here at the COW. Let me know ASAP and I'll email you the patch.

Did you contact DG? I thought they were letting people know that there's a means to fix the encodes in Episode to meet their spec.

Return to posts index

Larry Cedrone
on Feb 4, 2008 at 7:00:15 pm

I've had a few conversations with DG, but that was prior to us purchasing Episode Pro. We were originally trying to accomplish it using Squeeze but could never get it to work.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 4, 2008 at 7:12:53 pm

Squeeze can't do it. Episode couldn't either but I contacted Telestream and the cooked a patch up for me to test. I passed certification with DG so Telestream said I can email people the patch. I'm sure it'll be in an upcoming build of Episode but if you want me to email it to just say so and I'll send it to you in a jiff. Just to be clear Telestream has given me the OK to do that since they don't have another build of Episode yet to distribute.

Return to posts index

Larry Cedrone
on Feb 4, 2008 at 7:20:19 pm

I gotcha. That's why I was having so much trouble figuring it out then. I'd appreciate the patch, it would be a tremendous help.

Thanks so much,
Larry
lcedrone@vervebd.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 4, 2008 at 7:48:45 pm

Done, sent, winging its way to you through the ether(net?) via email.

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Feb 5, 2008 at 2:58:23 am

Hi Craig,

Do we get a prize if we keep this thread going more than a year?

I'd be glad to get your patch/settings and give Episode another shot at encoding for DG. Only thing I'll miss about Cleaner is the watch folder. Any way you could put in a word with the good folks at Telestream about adding that at some point? It's just a watch folder after all.

Anyway, when you get a chance please send the goods to me - joe at editatjoes d0t com. First "at" is a symbol, second is not.

Thanks a lot.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Wade Cutler
on Apr 8, 2008 at 4:42:13 pm

Could you also send me that patch?
thanks
wade@tradecomllc.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 8, 2008 at 4:58:37 pm

Patch no longer needed. Just update to Episode 4.4.2.

If you want the preset, let me know but you'll need 4.4.2 to use it.

Return to posts index

Wade Cutler
on Apr 8, 2008 at 5:16:08 pm

I"m on 4.4.2 but DG says my black levels are still too high. My editing system is Media 100...I also have FCP, but can't seem to get my blacks any lower.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 8, 2008 at 7:56:36 pm

Black level is something you'd need to adjust in the NLE. Look at a waveform and see what's happening. It may be a specific scene or it may be overall. You might need to get that detail from them. I've actually found cheating black lower than 7.5 works. Take it to near 0 if you have too.

Return to posts index

Jim Zito
on Apr 25, 2008 at 1:39:40 pm

Hi Craig,

Can you send that preset to me too?

jim(at)capstoneproductiongroup(dot)com

Thanks.

Return to posts index

branson veal
on Nov 14, 2009 at 12:22:37 am

can you please forward me the settings for dg fast channel preset for:
HD to SD (does this compress into a letterbox to maintain aspect ratio?)
SD

Return to posts index

Peter Johnson
on Jul 22, 2008 at 1:32:23 am

Hey Gary!

I'm on Episode 4.2.2
(will be soon, i have to make this work before my boss will purchase)
WOuld you mind sending me the pre-sets.

I have FCP 5.1 with 720x480 Quicktimes using the MiniDv Codec.

I'm trying to broadcast to DG SpotCentral.

I will be so happy if this improves broadcast quality!

Is there anything I can do for you, would you be interested in hosting these files on a public ftp server? (I don't have a public server, but I might be able to help you use one like box.net)

My email:
poison(dot)glass{At}gmail[dot]come

Return to posts index

Bud Kalbaugh
on Apr 28, 2008 at 8:47:43 pm

I used the specifications listed and in doing so, it took a 32mb quicktime file and turned it into a 5mb mpeg2 file. That does not seem right. Can somebody please help? I am trying to find the settings to allow Episode 4.2.2 to take quicktime files and transfer them to mpeg2 for DGFastchannel so I can prove to my folks that this is the software we need to purchase to do this for us. Please help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]