FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating .WMV files on a Mac

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pete Pedulla
Creating .WMV files on a Mac
on Feb 9, 2007 at 4:27:39 am

I have a client who needs .WMV files. (I usually just provide Quick Time files.) I'm considering buying Flip4Mac. Any reason to buy a more expensive option. (Cleaner? Squeeze?) Any other options?

(I'm working on an Intel-based 2.66GHz Quad Core Mac.)

Thanks,
Pete
http://www.2PMProductions.com

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: Creating .WMV files on a Mac
on Feb 9, 2007 at 10:17:00 am

I certainly wouldn't spend money on cleaner, it hasn't recieved a useful upgrade in years. Flip4Mac Studio pro is great but I'd consider the Episode family if you're looking at advanced preprocessing and the ability to spit out most other formats at high quality. It's also much better value than either cleaner or Squeeze IMHO.

http://www.flip4mac.com/episode.htm

Return to posts index

Ed
by
on Feb 9, 2007 at 2:50:53 pm

Flip4mac is good and it will work in QT applications. You should also consider
Episode (the former Compression Master). It does great wmvs (and so much more).
Cleaner is so 1990s :-)
and won't do WM9 (I don't think) (WM7 only) unless you add F4M to it..
Ed

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 9, 2007 at 3:35:31 pm

Flip4Mac Studio series is good if you don't need processing filters. It will work in Cleaner, Squeeze and Compressor though. If you're going to go the compression app route then Flip4Mac Episode/Pro is a heavy hitter. You can even do Window Media Multi Bit Rate in Episode and I don't think any other Mac compression apps support that.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Feb 11, 2007 at 3:36:55 am

Hold the presses! You say the client is requesting WMV and you have an Intel Mac? Why not install Parallels and encode the right way....in Windows? You will get the best possible encodes, have lots of flexibility and the client will be thrilled.

Is the client going to need full screen (640 x 480) size movies? Will they need streaming versions? Then the PC is the only way to go, and well worth the effort.

If you are talking about 480 x 360 or 320 x 240 low rez movies for reviews, then Flip4Mac is just fine. FWIW, I always encode 15 fps with Flip4Mac, and be sure to tell Flip4Mac that the input (source) is interlaced.....the default is progressive.

And although most of us bash cleaner, I happen to still use it as a pretty easy interface to make MPEG-1, and even Flash video. It is also a great transcoder for Quicktime movies and batches swimmingly. I do not use cleaner for WMV....eithe Flip4Mac on the low rez quick stuff, and the PC for an encode I want to be proud of.

I still loathe Macs compressor. That is not well written software.

Make a partition on the Mac and install Windows....the WMV encoder is a free download and is loaded. You won't find a comparable WMV encoder on the Mac. That's my 2

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Feb 18, 2007 at 8:08:02 am

Agreed. The Telestream codec is a good implementation, but it doesn't have alll the latest bells and whistles of our v11 implementations. And you can't use WMV PowerToy to set all the magic registry keys:

http://citizeninsomniac.com/WMV/#WMV9PowerToy

Chroma Search + Adaptive Motion Search + In-Loop Filter can work wonders.

Return to posts index

danny2007
on Feb 18, 2007 at 10:49:54 am

Ben,

Messing around with registry settings is hardly the sort of thing a casual user of encoding tools is likely to want to do, especially a Mac user.
Having said that, why should anybody have mess with the registry, manually or with the help of a 'Powertoy' to adjust settings that should be made available directly in the GUI of WME.
You even state in your book that "Windows Media Encoder requires you to jump through a lot of hoops to use custom settings"
I would have thought that as the senior program manager (for core media processing technologies) at Microsoft, you would have done something about this.

Danny

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Feb 19, 2007 at 6:31:27 pm

You can expect compression tools to include GUI for these settings in the future. The PowerToy is a nice option for users to play around with more advanced settings in the interim.

Also, note that Windows Media Encoder isn't intended to be the flagship professional encoding product. We expect that most professional WMV encoding is done with other tools built on top of our technologies.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]