FORUMS: list search recent posts

MOV to AVI Conversion

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sokitumi
MOV to AVI Conversion
on Jan 25, 2007 at 5:07:19 pm

Hey folks - I was wondering if anyone has a good solution for converting an Apple DV .mov file to a Microsoft DV or compatible .avi file... are there any quicktime components out there that will write DV to a .avi file?

I've used MPEG Streamclip and Quicktime to convert to AVI, but since I don't have a codec intended for .avi I can't get anything that will play in VLC.

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: MOV to AVI Conversion
on Jan 25, 2007 at 5:25:11 pm

If you have access to a PC (or bootcamp, VirtualPC etc) then you'll be able to do it on that. There's no way I know of to do this on a Mac as Microsoft don't supply the DV AVI CODEC for Mac.

I have no idea why Microsoft have to wrap up a DV file as AVI. Thank goodness they left MPEG alone!

It's a London thing.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jan 25, 2007 at 6:45:45 pm

If you convert to AVI from QT Pro (movie to AVI from the Export menu), then there shouldn't be a compatibility issue on Windows machines. Windows Media Player, and I imagine VLC as well, should play the resulting AVI fine. The codecs offered in QT's AVI exporter component are by default installed on Windows systems.

My guess at what you are really trying to do, based on your note of VLC, is to create an MPEG-4 AVI using a codec like DivX. On the mac, I would recommend an app called VisualHub (or ffmpegX) for doing this.

Return to posts index

sokitumi
on Jan 26, 2007 at 4:23:14 pm

we actually just use vlc because of the common codec library - generally, if a file plays with vlc on one of our macs, it will also play on our windows machines.

basically i just need a quicktime component that will write dv25 to a .avi file. it seems like this is one of those things that there's so little demand for that nobody's gotten around to it... looks like the only free solution is go do it on a windows box with mpeg streamclip... which is no big deal, it's just an annoyance since i'm working on a mac.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jan 26, 2007 at 4:36:08 pm

NO, QT PRO WILL DO THIS! I write that in CAPS because I stated the same thing above. If you export from QT Pro, Mac or PC, and select the Movie to AVI option, DV25 is in the list of codecs that are given as an option. This is the reason why no one (except MainConcept maybe) really offers a product for this, as DV25 is one of the original QT/AVI 2.0 codecs. And the reason why MPEG StreamClip offers the option for DV25 in AVI is because all MPEG SC does on the PC is link to the QT exporter component; yes, even on the PC. If the MPEG SC AVI exporter were a "true" (as in written for) windows AVI exporter, it would have the ability to export to other formats like VirtualDub can.

Return to posts index

sokitumi
on Jan 26, 2007 at 5:20:11 pm

right you are... i didn't bother using the dv option because the preview looked awful, but the output looks fine. thanks for the help charles.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]