FORUMS: list search recent posts

compressor worse than exporting with quicktime conversion??!!!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seamus
compressor worse than exporting with quicktime conversion??!!!
on Dec 19, 2006 at 5:42:37 am

hi all,

I don't get it.
I have a 1min video. I am looking to convert it to H264 movie. When I did a quicktime conversion I got beautiful results, smooth text etc.
Using EXACTLY the same settings in compressor I get aweful looking clips. jagged edges on text etc. (anit-aliasing issue?).

but I have been very careful to use the same settings. Have played around with the aspect ratio though in compressor. No luck. same result.

My settings were exactly the same as this guy...

http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0611/bentley.html

I would rather it done through compressor because I need to set of a few encodes.

Any ideas?

cheers

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: compressor worse than exporting with quicktime conversion??!!!
on Dec 21, 2006 at 12:51:42 am

Don't forget that with Quicktime player you can open multiple clips at once. Export the first one after making your settings, then simply go to the other clip and hit export....settings should be the same along with destination. Do the rest...you will have a stack of progress bars as they all encode....kind of like batching...worked for me in a pinch.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Dec 21, 2006 at 5:05:10 pm

QT can do batching with Mac OS X 10.4 and Automator. First, download an Automator plugin called QT Batch (or something like that, do a search on google). Then, use Automator to source your clips, and then apply the export command for the QT plugin and let the process run. This will open each source movie in QT and export it using the last settings you used in QT. It works very well.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Dec 26, 2006 at 8:23:28 am

This doesn't answer the question though as to why compressor's so bad.

I had exactly these issuses with FCP4.5 and m2vs. QT conversion made beautiful m2vs whereas Compressors where lame in comparison.

Alan

Return to posts index

seamus
on Jan 1, 2007 at 3:51:49 am

Thanks for your replies. Yeah, using QT export seems a good work around. But seriously, I'm running all the latest versions of Studio, it really is a problem if I can't rely on one of my major apps to be the tool its designed for.

I have noted many threads talking about gamma shift out of compressor, but this is a slightly different problem. So begs the question, if you can't rely on compressor, what else should I consider?

cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]