FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash video - FLV vs SXF

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve997
Flash video - FLV vs SXF
on Dec 18, 2006 at 6:38:52 pm

Hi guys,
I've been asked to encode a 4 min piece at 1920x1080 resolution (possibly a bit smaller) that is going to be projected onto a building.
They have requested Flash video (progressive download) as the output. I don't know much about this format and especially what is the difference between FLV vs SXF ? Is there anything specific I need to know about settings for it? I'm using Cleaner XL .

Regards,
Steve

Return to posts index

steve997
Re: Flash video - FLV vs SXF
on Dec 18, 2006 at 7:00:48 pm

Ok... I worked out the difference between FLV and SXF. Seems like FLV is the way to go.
These files will play off a server so what settings would you guys use (bitrates etc.) for 1920x1080 ?
Regards,
Steve

Return to posts index

Wes Greene
on Dec 19, 2006 at 4:28:19 am

Do tell!!!!

Would love to learn what the difference is as well. What did you learn??

I'm using Episode and not sure why I would choose one over the other.

cheers
wes

Return to posts index

steve997
on Dec 19, 2006 at 6:12:56 pm

Hi Wes...

FLV Video: Wildform's high quality Flash MX FLV video (both 1-pass and 2-pass* VBR) that plays in the Flash 7 player (and higher) when loaded into the player using the correct streaming syntax (SWF files containing this syntax can be generated automatically using the included Flix FLV player program). In addition, FLV video can be imported directly into the Macromedia Flash authoring tool (versions MX and higher) and it can be streamed using the Macromedia Flashcom Server. Flix outputs FLV files with either MP3 audio, which is better for use when deploying the FLV files, and uncompressed audio which is useful when creating files intended to be imported into the Macromedia Flash authoring tool.

Note that FLV files have no 16,000 frame limit and they handle RAM in a different way than SWF files, so if you are creating large video files, it is strongly recommended that use FLV output.

Also, when creating video for CD, you should use FLV video because it performs better. FLV files also do not have a SWF framerate and play independently of the SWF framerate of any SWF file that you may load them into.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Dec 21, 2006 at 6:24:09 pm

Essentially, use FLV for all video sequences, and SWF for all CG and animated sequences.

Now, as far as 1920x1080 FLV... hah! You are going to need a pretty beefy system to play that back, if it is even possible. I would strongly recommend encoding to some other format. Because as far as Flash is concerned, the larger the frame size gets, the more exponentially higher the requirements get in order to play back the video at full or even sufficient frame rates.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]