FORUMS: list search recent posts

Most common denomenator for PC and MAC

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dane silzle
Most common denomenator for PC and MAC
on Dec 14, 2006 at 5:32:23 pm

1) What movie formate will most commonly play from a download or stream on both Mac and PC.
a) What will open in both Quicktime and WMP?
b) Also what will be the most backword compatible with a 6-7 year op PC or MAC?

eg. MPEG 4, MPEG 4 ISMA, H264, MPEG 1(I would like to avoid MP1 for file size reasons)

I know and appologize for the redundant question but my searchs didn't answer the specific
question.

Dane

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Most common denomenator for PC and MAC
on Dec 15, 2006 at 4:27:38 am

And the Winner is MPEG-1. Windows 98 and any mac running Quicktime 5 will play it. If you choose any Windows Media you will have countless Mac issues, and if you choose Quicktime you will have countless Windows issues. also, decompressing WMV and QT takes more processor power so the older you go the harder it is to play for those old computers. MPEG-1 with a modest bitrate will play pretty well on some pretty old beige boxes. I agree, as a single field codec it doesn't scale to full screen very well. We usually opt for a stage to play them in. But they really are cross platform and can reach pretty far back on legacy boxes.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

dane silzle
on Dec 15, 2006 at 4:12:56 pm

Thans Rich,

Some how I though I was going to hear this........
Not even a streight MPEG4 huh? I'm thinking most people will have
a new OS than Win 98 or 2000.

I just got Episode Pro and love it I also have Cleaner 6 and Compressor and used to have
Procoder. I real please with Episode.

Thanks again,

Dane

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Dec 15, 2006 at 4:23:48 pm

While Rich is correct that MPEG-1 is the one-and-only for true compatibility, Flash has been gaining a lot of ground as well. A standard, non-Flash 8, FLV encode will be playable by a great deal many of clients. Probably more so than Windows Media or Quicktime. And the good news is that Episode does a pretty good job of encoding to Flash FLV (and an excellent job of encoding to Flash 8).

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Dec 21, 2006 at 12:48:27 am

True, but the decompress stage of Flash seems to create lag on playback with some encodes. Also, MPEG can be placed into PPT etc. On the web I just don't like the Flash stutter on playback. Not my first choice if I wanted to make sure the client was satisfied. No way is some guy in admin going to be able to play your flash movie in his windows 98 486. but he will be able to play your MPEG 1.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Dane Silzle
on Dec 21, 2006 at 5:55:06 am

Thanks guys,

I really appreciate both of your feedback.
And still the prime issue when prepairing to post movies to a web site or make a CD glass master, is the content that's on it.
(particulary the accessability of the content).
So here is some option from what I'm hearing and know:

Web download :

MPEG 1 ,a sure player on anyones machine
MPEG 4 (plain MPEG 4) ,better looking when scaled and better looking than MPEG 1 wt smaller files. plays on most WMV and QT
but even the most recient PC will ask what you want to open it with ,Mac you only have one choice, (the less choices you give the masses the better).
Flash 8 & 9 Look great/bigger pictures at6 small file size, BUT requires the Player, most of my "Industrial clients" hate having to download somthing to show there clients (who will have to download it as well). I know it takes seconds to download this player,
you convince my clients.

CD or DVD delivery:

I have been fortunate enough to convince most of my clients to go with DVD's (Yes)
But there is always one or two that have a different player on their PC notebook
WinDVD seems to run them all nicely Video and Audio work/sound great
But I have one client who has U-Leads DVD Player on her PC notebook and no-matter what I do
with the Audio ( AC3, Uncompressed AIF/WAV) she says it sounds like it's "IN A CAN"...
I also sent an WMV MPEG 4 she opened it right up in her player and the Audio was great ?
So now there talking about a CD MASTER instead of a DVD (go figure).
Again, on the MAC there is only one immediate choice for DVD player and it works great :)

The Auto run CD:

1) If 1 individual products is on it I can load a MPEG 1 with a Auto .EXE and .INI for Windows PC and the
Mac guys will just have to open the CD and click on what looks like a QT.
I'm open for any sure fired sugestions on a better way to do this.

2) If Multipule products are being shown, an interactive approach may be needed. Here's where i'm looking for sugestions
it has to play on PC and Mac. Do I have to learn "Director" and author in that or should it be made in some sort of HTML.
Does some one know what will AUTO open and PLAY well on both Mac and PC ?

Also to clairify (and mind you) I may be blowin' smoke, but, let's assume ( DANGER) most of my clients and clents-clients are well into win 2000, XP and or Mac OS X.

Thanks again for your response

Dane
dane@drppost.com
http://www.drppost.com

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Dec 21, 2006 at 5:09:57 pm

I'd go with Director. And don't be too daunted by it. If you are fluent in FCP or any editor that uses multiple layers on its timeline, then the learning curve shouldn't be that deep.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]