FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best MPEG-2/MPEG-1 encoder for high detail stills

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Courtney
Best MPEG-2/MPEG-1 encoder for high detail stills
on Nov 30, 2006 at 4:15:33 pm

I searched through posts in this forum and wasn't able to find an answer so I'm hoping somebody smart out there can help. I do a lot of engineering/architectual videos that often consist of still images; either before and after photosims or Google Earth type overheads to describe the outlines of a project. The problem I have, mostly affecting DVDs but also MPEG-1s when I make the occasional CD, is that I get mosqito noise that throbs every second or two in the high detail areas or around text labels. I've tried Compressor, Procoder, and Bitvice and haven't been able to resolve the issue. I use a nice high bitrate and have tried CBR and VBR in those packages and nothing seems to help. I'm coming out of Final Cut Pro as either DV, uncompressed 8 bit, or high quality photo jpeg for most things, is there some technique I'm missing like compression markers or something?

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Best MPEG-2/MPEG-1 encoder for high detail stills
on Nov 30, 2006 at 6:03:08 pm

Normally, for video that consists of a lot of stills and static shots, I would recommend BitVice Pro. Basically, if BitVice can't do a good job on your stills, then I don't know what encoder will. I would suggest that you keep trying to tweak the settings in BitVice until you hit it.

Return to posts index

Brad Courtney
on Nov 30, 2006 at 9:32:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. I realized I've been using the Lite version of Bitvice, so based on your comment I went ahead and bought the full version and gave it a whirl and so far so good. Leaving it to crunch on some difficult sources tonight so we'll see in the morning.

Now if I could just get rid of the problem on my MPEG-1s in ProCoder I'd be golden!

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Dec 1, 2006 at 5:17:37 am

For MPEG-1, I like either MainConcept or Episode.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Dec 4, 2006 at 9:32:20 pm

To help reduce the mosquito noise, you might try adjusting the image contrast to lessen the difference between the brightest and darkest areas. Compression artifacts are exacerbated around areas of sharp detail and high contrast. If you can knock down the contrast slightly, or even apply a very slight gaussian blur to the problem spots in the images, you may help reduce artifacting in the compression process.

Return to posts index

Brad Courtney
on Dec 10, 2006 at 2:58:45 pm

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]