FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression of motion graphics...

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thewanggao
Compression of motion graphics...
on Nov 26, 2006 at 8:05:00 pm

Hello,
I am sending in a compilation of my motion graphics to the USC school of cinematic arts for my application. Therefore, I would like to get the sequence onto a DVD, at maximum quality. MPEG-2 is the only codec that can actually go onto DVD, right? If so, what are the best compression settings for maximum quality, but still playback-safe? Will the compression greatly affect the quality of the video? I have a rendered QT animation ref file that is about 4 minutes long with music.

Oh yeah, I should mention that the reference file is at 864x480, square pixels. How exactly would I go about getting that onto a DVD with no/little distortion?

Thank you very much,
Alexander Gao

Alexander Gao

"When the revolution happens, I'll be leading it."

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Compression of motion graphics...
on Nov 27, 2006 at 9:05:19 pm

MPEG-2 is the only compatible format for DVDs that need to be played in a STB. For graphics and it only being a 4 minute segment, I would probably suggest a high-bit rate CBR encode (~7-8Mbps). You will need to resize the encode to 720x480 on compression in order for it to be compatible with DVD spec.

In addition, since you are likely to have plenty of room remaining on the DVD after the main assets are encoded, you may want to include a high quality VC1 .WMV and a H.264 .MOV. These would have to be navigated via a PC as data, but it would be good to give the user the option to see a potentially better encode.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]