Cleaner - QT better settings or codecs

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve997
Cleaner - QT better settings or codecs
on Nov 22, 2006 at 4:18:39 pm

Hi guys,
I run the latest Cleaner XL 1.5.

For QT, H.264 codec gives massive errors and the degraded image looks like it was encoded at 10kbps(discreet has confirmed the problem), so I use the Sorensen codec. I do 640x480 and require very good quality. I usually run 3000kbps at 29.97 and have brought my KF down to every 4 frames.
However, any sudden change still leaves a very pixelated image for a frame or two. I have tried MP4 as well which gives very similar results. I just can't get anywhere the look and quality of H.264 at 1500kpbs on a MAC (Compressor?) even though I'm at double or even three times the file size.

Two questions:
I heard that you can buy and download a Sorensen Pro codec which you just drop into Cleaner. The Pro codec is supposed to be a lot better. Is this correct and has anyone tried it?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest any settings for doing high quality QT using Cleaner. I am happy to attach my profiles via email if anyone wants to look a them closely.

ps. all files are for download.

Regards,
Steve

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Cleaner - QT better settings or codecs
on Nov 22, 2006 at 5:48:17 pm

You are correct about the need for the Sorenson Video 3 Professional encoder. The standard encoder that comes with QT sucks. To get any kind of decent quality with SV3 you need the Pro version available from sorensonmedia.com.

Return to posts index

steve997
on Nov 22, 2006 at 6:26:46 pm

Hi Charles,
Is it easy to just buy and download this codec and drop it into Cleaner. Have you tried this? Can you give me the details of what the procedure is if you have.
Regards,
Steve

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Nov 22, 2006 at 7:07:20 pm

Yes, it is just a codec for QT and is then compatible with any QT Exporting application. The SV3 stand-alone encoder has been the defacto way of encoding SV3 for years and is very useful. Simply purchase the codec, run the installer, and set up the settings in Cleaner just like you normally would. I should note as well, that if you purchase Sorenson Squeeze, the SV3 Pro encoder is included.

Return to posts index

steve997
on Nov 22, 2006 at 8:37:59 pm

Thanks Charles... seems very straight forward...
Does the Cleaner UI with thst "Pro' codec give you more options to play with ?
Pity that Sorenson don't give a few days trial version.

Lastly, do you use Cleaner with Auto KF's or do you generally set manual KF framerates?

Regards,
Steve

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Nov 22, 2006 at 9:10:25 pm

With the Pro codec, you do have access to many more options, although it is directly via the codec's properties ala the Divx encoder. There may be a few slight changes in Cleaner with the codec installed, but I haven't used Cleaner XL in so long I can't remember.

Download the trial of Squeeze, it should give you a good idea of what you can do with SV3.

I generally use automatic keyframing or something like every 200 - 300 frames. With SV3, the picture can be really negatively affected with lower keyframe rates.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]