FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoder decision

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john c
Encoder decision
on Nov 19, 2006 at 12:27:28 am

I am still deciding on what encoding package I will get. Right now I have my heart set on Episode. But, I noticed in the past few days both Sorensen Spueeze 4.5 and Autodesk Cleaner 6.5 are availible. My two main encoder needs are mobile 3gp files and WMV files. Is Episode the best choice for this situation? Does Sorensen or Autodesk have a larger installed base thereby making more frequent improvements to their products more feasible?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Encoder decision
on Nov 20, 2006 at 12:19:02 am

Cleaner is still a great app....if you upgrade be sure to get the 6.5.1 update. But it's a terrible WMV encoder...it only handles ver 7, unless you have flip4Mac.

If WMV is so important then i strongly recommend using a PC for that task. Nothing on the Mac can make encodes as good as an old PC. How about an intel Mac with Parallels?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

john c
on Nov 20, 2006 at 7:27:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Rich,

I would rather stay with a mac encoder due to my work flow from Final Cut Studio. I am thinking that the Episode would be the best option for my needs, but just wanted some opinions on the competition expecially since Sorenson Squeeze came out with 4.5 which can do 3g files.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Nov 20, 2006 at 9:02:11 pm

Episode does 3GP as well, best on the market IMHO. And since Epsiode is now owned by the folks who own the Flip4Mac product line, it is only a matter of time before the best features of each are integrated into Episode. As far as Squeeze, the new 4.5 update looks promising, and as far as encoders, it is comparable to Episode now. But one area where Squeeze has always fell way behind Episode on is in pre-processing capabilities. Episode by far trumps Squeeze in this area, and unless Sorenson has made some changes that they haven't publicly documneted, then this still remains. Also, another key difference is that the majority of Episode's encoders are multi-threaded, whereas the majority of Squeeze's aren't. So if you have a dual or quad proc machine, you'll benefit more in encoding times with Episode.

Return to posts index

john c
on Nov 20, 2006 at 9:45:50 pm

Thanks Charles for your input,

I have decided to purchase Episode. Can you suggest some resources to help me learn how to use the encoder?

thanks again to everyone.

Return to posts index

John Farrell
on Nov 28, 2006 at 3:24:48 pm

Hmm. I looked at the Episode product pages at flip4mac. It's annoying you have to pay extra--even with the Pro version to have Flash flv/swf encoding capability.

Makes me feel like my best bet--for now, is to go from Cleaner 6.1 up to 6.5 (for Flash) and keep doing my Windows Media 9 on my PC at work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]