FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash movies take forever to load

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
almarrob
Flash movies take forever to load
on Nov 9, 2006 at 4:40:13 pm

We are creating Flash movies in Camtasia to stream off an HTTP web server. It takes a long time for the video to appear and begin playing, even with a high speed connection. Does anyone have any insight as to why this is happening? We started using Flash recently because our Mac users were having problems playing Windows Media files. The movies are available at library.uml.edu/media/campus voices. Any guidance would be appreciated. This compression stuff is bringing me down.

Return to posts index

Makeshift
Re: Flash movies take forever to load
on Nov 11, 2006 at 1:29:52 pm

Unless you are truly streaming i.e. have a streaming server that porcess the movie, the entire movie will first have to download before it starts playing.

To overcome this break the movie into shorter blocks. Then open a flash project using flash mx or flash 8 and insert your movie clips creating a seperate scene for each clip. Then insert an action script at the end of the first scene that will play the next one. The first scene will then load and start palying the moment its done whilst the second scene are still loading etc.

Make the first clip say 1 minutes and the rest +- 3 min and see what happens.

If you play around a little with the length of the clips you will find to optimum length.

Return to posts index

Ed
Re: Flash movies take forever to load
by
on Nov 12, 2006 at 11:49:10 pm

I suggest both of you read this Adobe article, in Makeshift's case so he doesn't give out wrong information
again. :-)
Ed

[Makeshift] "Unless you are truly streaming i.e. have a streaming server that porcess the movie, the entire movie will first have to download before it starts playing.

To overcome this break the movie into shorter blocks. Then open a flash project using flash mx or flash 8 and insert your movie clips creating a seperate scene for each clip. Then insert an action script at the end of the first scene that will play the next one. The first scene will then load and start palying the moment its done whilst the second scene are still loading etc.

Make the first clip say 1 minutes and the rest +- 3 min and see what happens.

If you play around a little with the length of the clips you will find to optimum length."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]